• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opterons power latest SuperComputer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I remember reading about this over the summer. Kind of funny how Opties are better then the Xeons. Wonder if it will be the same come after the 2008 CPU war.

The opties are better than Xeons because of HyperTransport and NUMA. They don't have this advantage over the Nehalem based Xeons and will have competition in this segment going forward.

I also forgot to mention that AMD does a lot with VMs. Something about an Opty on a VM makes everything go faster. That is an interesting read if you guys want to read about CPUs.

I wouldn't start counting flops on a Neha until at some real world servers are put into play. AMD still has the best multi CPU platform to run large scale servers as I'm not convinced the QPI will be as good. Remember sales pitches sell hardware until servers are built and power bills arrive. "I would not pull my AMD farm for first run Intel hardware".

Dolk, you hit a point, WM is where todays search engines run.

Update;
As long as fudzillia has not stepped in something, this article give more hope that Xehas won't be as much of a threat after all.
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10482&Itemid=1

Last edited:
Back