• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interface converter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraManiac

I have a Toshiba laptop that has a 60gb 2.5" hard drive with ata interface(the one with many many pins)

I wanted to upgrade the hard drive so I purchased a 2.5" 320GB hard drive.

But the interface are different. The new 320GB hard drive has a SATA interface(the one with to L shaped connector)

Is there a converter to convert the 320GB sata hard drive to ATA so I can use it in my laptop?

If not, is there a way to hot wire the 320GB sata drive to the ata interface on my laptop board?

Thank you

Last edited:
Nope. What you'll have to do is return that laptop drive and exchange it for a parallel ATA drive. They DO make SATA to IDE converters, however, seeing that you are using a laptop, there is simply NO device out there made for laptops to convert SATA laptop HDDs into Parallel ATA laptop interface, simply because the space in your laptop ONLY allows for the hard drive, and no other device along with it.

Correct.

I would research some more and make sure your laptop with a 60gig drive can see a huge 320gig drive. Most likely not without a BIOS update. I would almost guarantee 120gig limit on that laptop.

Back