• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shanghai launched.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/13/amd-gets-shanghai

The Inq gives us a few details on the new things that Shanghi brings it's interesting, reading the prefetch info and how it's performance has increased by 10-15% I am defo looking at prices for a new rig with Shanghi in mind now was just about to cave in and go with a X4 9550.

Its just looking now for a AM2+ or AM3 board with a decent more up to date south bridge than the old SB600 I have seen a AM2+ Gigabyte board with a 780G and SB700 chipsets

Pretty nice to see it compete and sometimes outpace a faster clocking Intel. But whats REALLY nice for AMD is that they have better power consumption than intel by a decent margine. This should help to resolidify some of AMD's previous server roots.

Skimmed the article, so the Virtualization tech will let the OS see your hardware you have installed? ie. I have a 7900GS, the VM will use and access the 7900GS. not some generic virtual video card?

Last edited:
CNET News reports that AMD also has a new desktop platform codenamed Dragon on the roadmap for Q1 2009. Dragon will use 45nm Shanghai desktop CPUs in conjunction with AMD 700 Series chipsets and ATI Radeon HD 4000 graphics. Whether or not the Shanghai-based Dragon platform can compete with Intel's new Core i7 X58 chipset duo remains to be seen, it's good to see AMD trying to mount a comeback. AMD is working hard to prevent another plagued launch like it executed for Barcelona.

Dailytech did an article on the Shanghai.
I don't mean to change subjects here, but WTF? When did AMD start calling Deneb Dragon? Or did I miss something?

i think i read this somewhere, but doesn't this first version of shanghai not have something originally planned for in the first release?

i think i read this somewhere, but doesn't this first version of shanghai not have something originally planned for in the first release?

I Don't know if it was actually planned for initial release, but The first Shanghais can not utilise HT 3 due to the lack of motherboard compatibility..

There's also some safety feature called "L3 Cache Index Disable" that can disable bad parts of the L3 Cache that is not activated yet.

HT3 will be availble on a few models IIRC - however you will need an updated chipset to use it. These should work in existing Socket F boards that take Barcelona chips.

Back