• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need power supply recommendations.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dim1014

I need a good cost effective power supply that can efficiently and reliably power my new(and first!) gaming build
specs:
Processor: Intel i7 940 (already got it, at a good price)
Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe or GYGABYTE EX58 Extreme (can't decide)
Case: CM 690 (seems like the best cheap-ish option)
Ram: Probably either 6b or 12gb G.SKILL Triple Channel
Video card: EVGA GTX 280 FTW (thinking about getting a 2nd for SLI at some point so psu must be good enough)
Hard drive: most likely 2x Seagate 7200rpm/32mb

After reading through threads here, I've come to the conclusion that for my current set up I should get 750w and that because I might want to SLI, 850w would be a good idea. Is that right?

I need some recommendations if you guys have any. I saw people talking about the Antec signature 850, but I feel like 260$ is a bit too much for a power supply. Also, I've seen some negative reviews regarding some incompatibility with Nvidia cards. Thanks in advance for reading!

I need a good cost effective power supply that can efficiently and reliably power my new(and first!) gaming build
specs:
Processor: Intel i7 940 (already got it, at a good price)
Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe or GYGABYTE EX58 Extreme (can't decide)
Case: CM 690 (seems like the best cheap-ish option)
Ram: Probably either 6b or 12gb G.SKILL Triple Channel
Video card: EVGA GTX 280 FTW (thinking about getting a 2nd for SLI at some point so psu must be good enough)
Hard drive: most likely 2x Seagate 7200rpm/32mb

After reading through threads here, I've come to the conclusion that for my current set up I should get 750w and that because I might want to SLI, 850w would be a good idea. Is that right?

I need some recommendations if you guys have any. I saw people talking about the Antec signature 850, but I feel like 260$ is a bit too much for a power supply. Also, I've seen some negative reviews regarding some incompatibility with Nvidia cards. Thanks in advance for reading!

Dim,

Here's one endorsed by our own Oklahoma Wolf:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817702007

Tested here:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ2NywsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

If these guys say it's good, don't ask, buy it!

Thanks for the recommendation! 3 questions about this PSU though!
1. the newegg reviews don't seem all that hot (only about 50% are good), is this okay? doesn't that mean there's a high fail rate?
2. will this one have enough power for everything I listed? (including 2 or 3 GTX 280's?)
3. it looks like the cables are really bulky, is it okay that there's no modular cables in terms of cooling in a CM 690 case?
Thanks!

1. What are newegg reviews? :screwy: OW, Spectre are doing reviews.
2. For 2 GTX's without problems but for 3 I'd be more comfortable on long term with a Corsair HX1000.
3. Signature is semi-modular but with 2-3 GTX's, 2 HDD's, DVD and some fans you'll use almost all cables and modularity is useless.

1. the newegg reviews don't seem all that hot (only about 50% are good), is this okay? doesn't that mean there's a high fail rate?

WTF? Read the newegg reviews, then read the reviews at the link that thunder posted. Let you common sense guide you.

As for PSU's being expensive, please remember that the PSU is the most important component of any PC and will cause you more problems than you know what to do with if you skimp out. $260.00 for such a good piece of hardware is not a bit much. The amount you're paying for that CPU and those GFX cards or 6 - 12GB of RAM, that's a bit much. Actually, that's alot too much. You might want to think about 3 - 6GB and put the balance towards the PSU.

The problem with Newegg reviews is anyone who can push buttons on a keyboard can write them. You have no idea who these people are or what level of expertise they're at.

"Grrrrr, I wanted to use this to jump start my car and it blew up when I tried. But I'm going to go on Newegg and complain about it anyway like my computer blew it up."

I actually own that BFG psu that RT linked you to and it's a damn good psu. The cables aren't any bulkier than any other psu that has sleeved cables. The one thing I do have problems with it is due to the case layout on my TJ06 case, which has the psu at the top and uses an inverted board layout so the atx and 12v connectors are on the bottom. The atx connector was long enough but the 12v connector wasn't quite long enough to use the 8 pin connector. Luckily for the, the 4 pin connector sticks out around 6 inches further and my P5Q Pro board can use either 8 pin or 4 pin connectors and run ok.

EDIT: BTW, BFG also gives you a lifetime warrantee on this psu too, but you have to register it with them to enable the lifetime warrantee.

maybe a Corsair 750w? i've heard they're very reliable, but i've also read that the fan gets fairly audible. as for 850w a recent PSU buyer's guide on Anandtech showed the OCZ EliteXtream 850, Zalman 850w and Antec 850w signature series to be the best.

baditude_df: If 250$ was what it took to get a good power supply, I'd gladly pay the amount. The fact is that there are plenty of power supplies that cost half as much that are just as reliable. So why pay 250$ if I can pay 140 and achieve the same results? The whole point is that I WOULDN'T want to buy something crappy, that's why I made this thread!

thanks guys! I think I'll be going with th BFG 800

Back