• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

On a plama what works best? VGA, Composite or HDMI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyHolly

Hey guys,
I just wanted to hook my PC up to my plasma and I don't have the converter for the back of my video card yet. If I hook it up using the VGA (Old style computer cord that most monitors use) will it look like garbage?

I am gonna drive over to TigerDirect or Fry's and pick one up but I figured I would ask first. Thanks!

EDIT: RRRrgggh can't edit title... Fix Plama >>> PLASMA

It won't look terrible, but the picture will be very pixelated, as analog doesn't support the resolution of a plasma TV usually. At least, that's what I know from my experience. I may be wrong

VGA is fine just keep in mind it doesn't carry sound so you will need to connect that as well. VGA can carry a full HD signal without problem. The only advantage of HMDI is that it carries sound and is easier to hook up but the video card manufactures haven't deemed this a needed item yet on gaming class cards.

VGa will look terrible and if used on a VGA port on the display will usually lock it down to a few and not necessarily preferred resolutions. HDMi will provide an optimum viewing experience. DVI is my preferred method but you will only find those inputs on the upper end flat screens, but will provide the best picture. Just keep the signal digital, everytime it's converted, some noise is introduced.

Well I can say this, I have hooked my laptops up to the PC port of my plasma monitor using VGA cords in the past and it looked fine... But I never tried viewing a movie or anything like games and such.

Earlier in the year, you guys helped me out with a project with my friend's 50" 1080i LCD using his computer, a brand new 8800 GTS video card and a HDMI port and it looked amazing!

Back