• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My video game love/hate list...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brandontw

My full video game love/hate list... with comments and updated with number ratings.

I just read through another thread of someones "Video Game Awards", and I found it intriguing, so I decided to make one of my own. This list is more for my own sanity than thinking that anyone will care about it...just doing some reminiscing is all.:beer:

I am very weird about my video games, and have long since stopped reading game reviews, because i rarely agree with them.

My personal philosophy on games is pretty much if i've ever beaten a game, it goes on my "like list" because if i beat it, that means there was something i liked about it enough to keep me playing, and entertained for a respectable amount of hours whether it be through story, gameplay, or just general badassness. If i didn't beat it, that means it couldn't hold my interest long enough through story, gameplay, or general badassness.

I also have a few games i beat on my hate list, because i loathed the game for wasting my time when i was done. I also have some i didn't beat on my 'A' list, because i didn't beat them due to laziness or time constraints, but i liked playing them a lot.

Anyway, my Favorite games of all time:(not in order really)

Fable 2 (Just finished this on XBOX, My new favorite game of recent times... It managed to keep me captivated until 4 AM last night, and the for another 5-6 hours today until i beat it. Just an awsome game. Easy enough to make you feel like a badass, but big enough and complicated enough to make you have fun :))11

Fable:TLC(ive beaten it twice in the last two weeks, i love it) 10

Black and White 2 (The game I've beaten the most in my gaming career 10+ times..love it.)10

Halo 1,2,3(Beat them all once, cool story, simple, fluid gameplay, good multiplayer...like em a lot.)8-9

Crysis (Beat this in two sittings, has a bit of a learning curve, but fun and neat story once you get into it. Like it!)9

Civilization 4 and/or Revolution (Beat Civ 4 on the computer multiple times and ways, same with Revolution on the Xbox, love them both, unique gameplay, heavy strategy element. Love em!)10

Wow (I liked it until i got to about 55 and realized i was only halfway to 70. Probably the most hours I've ever spent on any game..props for being that interesting for that long. Still get hankerings to play again...must resist...)5-10

Deus Ex (old one)8

Starcraft online. (Hours of fun)10

GTA(any) (Just good fun)7

Diablo 2 (I had fun playing this online with hacked chars in middle school, other than that, meh.)6

Command and Conquer (I've played a few of the several that have come out since its birth, usually good for several hours of fun on single player, and even more online or LAN but usually riddled with awkwardness and slight problems)7-9

The Punisher (I forgot about this one, its a wildcard. I know its generally looked down on, and its a movie game and its kind of like a "B movie" class game, but hell, i liked it, and i beat it...once.)8

Max payne (The first game i ever played on Xbox, perhaps it was just the initial Ooh-Ah factor, but i think it was a pretty cool game, i don't remember if i beat it or not though.)7

Unreal (I don't remember which number it was, but i was playing it online, on my older mac if i remember right, i had tons of fun. Fragtastic!) 8

Portal (You have to admit, this was a badass concept, and it was fun to play, and it was a bit of a brain worker as well. There was a major humor element, and that was fun. Overall, i think it was pretty cool. Downfalls: you don't really get to kill stuff, Short - beat it in one sitting, and very little replay value. I still give em props for the idea, the only game from valve I've enjoyed.)8

Galactic Civilizations (Stardock makes games? I didn't know it was even legal to rip of a concept so completely - even in name, this game is very similar to Civilization. That being said, i enjoyed it quite a bit, i played it through once legitimately, then played it through once with cheats, i liked it better with cheats.)

Mech Warrior (Ah Mech Warrior, the game everyone loves to hate. The Multiplayer was just silly rubbish on this, but i played all the way through the single player, and i even liked it...)

And now games I was told I should play, and didn't like much:

Half life, 1 and 2( I could never finish them, if a game doesn't interest me enough to beat it, whats the point?)4

Spore (I went all the way from cell to space in one sitting, kinda fun, but way too simple and easy, haven't beat space stage, but its pretty abstract and harder to learn.)5

Elder Scrolls Oblivion (I gave it about 5-6 hours of my life, just not interested... you walk too slow, fighting is stupid, interface is iffy...Graphics are pretty though!)3

Doom 3 (Tried it...honestly? Too spooky, creeping me out.)3

Prey (Eh...)2

Fear (I wanted to like this one..i really did.)4

Warcraft 3 (Yeah I could take it or leave it... i think I'll leave it.)5

Anything with "Call of Duty" in front of it. (Ive tried them all, extensively, I hope to not try them anymore.)1

Supreme Commander (This Game is Effin Hard, I may be a pansy, but after struggling for a few hours... i'm out.)5

Eve online (Please make it stop. Oh god why?)1

Age of Empires (this one was a tough one, but i definately could not put it on my "games i love" list, i had a little bit of fun playing a little bit of them, but no replay value, mediocre building/strategy game... not when there's Black and White 2 out there.)6

Gears of War (Whats up with the controls on this? Its like piloting an elderly pig around with a chainsaw... It had potential, but it was wasted on an awkward over the shoulder control setup.)4

Team Fortress 2 (Part of the orange box. Was there a team fortress one? Anyway, call me a newb, but i just couldnt get the hang of it, i was done trying in a half hour.)2

Games on my list to try

Fallout 3 (Started... not sure yet)

Sins of a solar empire

Mass Effect (Found a copy on ebay for 15$ shipped for xbox 360... cant wait to try it.)

Farcry 2

Left 4 Dead

The Witcher

Bioshock (Played the demo, Unique style, fluid gameplay, its on my list.)

Too Human (Played the demo twice for this, seemed like a fun button masher.)

World in Conflict (I've heard of it, that's about it... Any good?)

Homeworld (Any good?)

Sacred 2 (good review, looks cool, i might get around to it.)

Assassins Creed (I moved this from my "not interested" because i realized i based my dislike for it entirely on other peoples opinions, i should at least play a demo.)

Games I have no interest in trying

Brothers in arms

Company of Heroes

Any "realistic world war x" game is off the list i just hate them for some reason, call me crazy.

Several other that i have no interest in typing about as well...

I'm interested in suggestions for other games i might like to try, I don't have alot of patience for games to be honest, if they don't reach out and grab me in a few hours of gameplay, I'm out

Last edited:
I don't see Bioshock on your list, what is your opinion of it?

I think bioshock is a little :screwy:
Oh, totally forgot about Bioshock. I played the demo on xbox, it seemed like it had potential. I'll add that to my list of games i want to try.

I also thought up a few more and added them in various categories on the list.

Bioshock was way over-hyped. The Art Deco style was neat, but the over-riding theme and story was weak and predictable. The weapon system was a neat feature, but the controls felt terrible on PC. I have yet to find a console FPS which feels right on a computer. It's probably better on 360 or PS3 (you said the controls were fluid on Xbox).

So anyway, I got about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through and lost interest.

Check this zero punctuation review. Pretty much nails it.

Last edited:
The story for Bioshock was amazing, at least the end twist that just made you really think about it...

However the gameplay was bland, there were many creative ways to kill enemies, but you pretty much stuck to a formula and you could beat the game. Also the non-existant penalty for dying was what made the game even more boring.

Bioshock was way over-hyped. The Art Deco style was neat, but the over-riding theme and story was weak and predictable. The weapon system was a neat feature, but the controls felt terrible on PC. I have yet to find a console FPS which feels right on a computer. It's probably better on 360 or PS3 (you said the controls were fluid on Xbox).

So anyway, I got about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through and lost interest.

Check this zero punctuation review. Pretty much nails it.

Also overhyped IMO are oblivion and assassin's creed. I can only play them for five minutes before I completely lose interest.

I have asteroids for the pc!

"Yeah my dad has asteroids too, he couldn't sit down or s**t for a week"

Apparently no one got my national lampoon's vacation movie reference. Guess I am getting old.

Last edited:
Also overhyped IMO are oblivion and assassin's creed. I can only play them for five minutes before I completely lose interest.

Be careful, this man's opinions are beyond comprehensible. I agree with Assasin's creed though.

I'm definitely with you on Oblivion like i said above, I gave it a few hours, and did a handful of quests, and I just wanted to quit playing the whole time.

Haven't tried assassins creed, nor do i want to.

I added a couple more today, i think my list is getting pretty complete.

Any more suggestions of ones to try? I'm down for some gaming lately.

I just read through another thread of someones "Video Game Awards", and I found it intriguing, so I decided to make one of my own. This list is more for my own sanity than thinking that anyone will care about it...just doing some reminiscing is all.:beer:

I am very weird about my video games, and have long since stopped reading game reviews, because i rarely agree with them.

Anyway, my Favorite games of all time:(not in order really)

Fable:TLC(ive beaten it twice in the last two weeks, i love it) 10

Black and White 2 (The game I've beaten the most in my gaming career 10+ times..love it.)10

Halo 1,2,3(Beat them all once, cool story, simple, fluid gameplay, good multiplayer...like em a lot.)8-9

Crysis (Beat this in two sittings, has a bit of a learning curve, but fun and neat story once you get into it. Like it!)9

Civilization 4 and/or Revolution (Beat Civ 4 on the computer multiple times and ways, same with Revolution on the Xbox, love them both, unique gameplay, heavy strategy element. Love em!)10

Wow (I liked it until i got to about 55 and realized i was only halfway to 70. Probably the most hours I've ever spent on any game..props for being that interesting for that long. Still get hankerings to play again...must resist...)5-10

Fable 2 (Just started this on the Xbox, looks like it will be every bit as good as the original, :))10

Deus Ex (old one)8

Starcraft online. (Hours of fun)10

GTA(any) (Just good fun)7

Diablo 2 (I had fun playing this online with hacked chars in middle school, other than that, meh.)6

Command and Conquer (I've played a few of the several that have come out since its birth, usually good for several hours of fun on single player, and even more online or LAN but usually riddled with awkwardness and slight problems)7-9

The Punisher (I forgot about this one, its a wildcard. I know its generally looked down on, and its a movie game and its kind of like a "B movie" class game, but hell, i liked it, and i beat it...once.)8

Max payne (The first game i ever played on Xbox, perhaps it was just the initial Ooh-Ah factor, but i think it was a pretty cool game, i don't remember if i beat it or not though.)7

Unreal (I don't remember which number it was, but i was playing it online, on my older mac if i remember right, i had tons of fun. Fragtastic!) 8

And now games I was told I should play, and didn't like much:

Half life, 1 and 2( I could never finish them, if a game doesn't interest me enough to beat it, whats the point?)4

Spore (I went all the way from cell to space in one sitting, kinda fun, but way too simple and easy, haven't beat space stage, but its pretty abstract and harder to learn.)5

Elder Scrolls Oblivion (I gave it about 5-6 hours of my life, just not interested... you walk too slow, fighting is stupid, interface is iffy...Graphics are pretty though!)3

Doom 3 (Tried it...honestly? Too spooky, creeping me out.)3

Prey (Eh...)2

Fear (I wanted to like this one..i really did.)4

Warcraft 3 (Yeah I could take it or leave it... i think I'll leave it.)5

Anything with "Call of Duty" in front of it. (Ive tried them all, extensively, I hope to not try them anymore.)1

Supreme Commander (This Game is Effin Hard, I may be a pansy, but after struggling for a few hours... i'm out.)5

Eve online (Please make it stop. Oh god why?)1

Age of Empires (this one was a tough one, but i definately could not put it on my "games i love" list, i had a little bit of fun playing a little bit of them, but no replay value, mediocre building/strategy game... not when there's Black and White 2 out there.)6

Gears of War (Whats up with the controls on this? Its like piloting an elderly pig around with a chainsaw... It had potential, but it was wasted on an awkward over the shoulder control setup.)4

Games on my list to try

Fallout 3

Sins of a solar empire

Mass Effect

Farcry 2

The Witcher

Bioshock (Played the demo, Unique style, fluid gameplay, its on my list.)

Too Human (Played the demo twice for this, seemed like a fun button masher.)

World in Conflict (I've heard of it, that's about it... Any good?)

Games I have no interest in trying

Assassins Creed

Brothers in arms

Company of Heroes

Several other that i have no interest in typing about as well...

I'm interested in suggestions for other games i might like to try, I don't have alot of patience for games to be honest, if they don't reach out and grab me in a few hours of gameplay, I'm out

What, no garbage award?!?!??! ;)

See, THIS is how you write a list.

You will LOVE FO3, The Witcher and Mass Effect if you like good stories and RPG. I'm a little down on Mass Effect's combat, but that's me. Still an overall quality game.

What, no garbage award?!?!??! ;)

See, THIS is how you write a list.

You will LOVE FO3, The Witcher and Mass Effect if you like good stories and RPG. I'm a little down on Mass Effect's combat, but that's me. Still an overall quality game.

Lol, glad you like the list. Ive been absurdly bored at work lately, so i decided to put some time and thought into it.

Cool, they are on my list, I already have FO3, just waiting to get my vid card out of RMA to try it out.

Last edited:

FPS'es started on PC and later on transitioned to consoles. I'm guessing you've never played extensively with a keyboard + mouse.

Oh yes, @op; Left 4 Dead is one of the few games I think is worth buying nowadays.

good list, pretty much agree with all of your "Love's". However I enjoyed about 33% of your "hates" lol.

Good "games to try" list, though I'd wait on FC2 until its in the $10-20 range (if that)...just my opinion ;)

I have to disagree with the " 6 " you gave Diablo 2. the game is brilliant. Good story, Lots to do, MASSIVE loot system that will keep you playing for YEARS. I only enjoyed the hacks for the thrill of seeing how strong i could get. But the real fun is playing multiplayer, doing boss runs to collect good equipment.

I don't agree with World of Warcraft. Just not enough for me to do.

100% disagree with your evaluation of Eve-online. i LOVE the game. there is just SOOOO much to do in that game! The game is PERFECT for a person who has ADD ( attention deficit disorder ). the Economy is MASSIVE. the PVP is unforgiving ( aka: the penalty for dying can be as little as a million ISK ( ISK = in game money ),or up to 6+ months of play time wasted, if you didn't update your clone ). NOT a care-bear game AT ALL. hence why love it. My favorite MMO of all time currently. ( yeah, PVP is a little slow. But i'm not a huge PVP fan. I'm a fan of the economics ).

I agree with the annoying "over the shoulder" view in Gears of War. It just screws with my head. Plus, i'm not a big fan of the controls. Maybe i'll give the game a chance in the future, but with a couple games just coming out, i won't have the time for GOW for a little while.

I agree with those who said to try Knights of the Old republic. Those games are BRILLIANT! But honestly, i prefer KoTOR 1. It had a better story. But KoTOR 2 was really fun too.

Also, Mass Effect was quite fun as well. I like the FPS elements mixed with the RPG elements as well. Very fun game. The story isn't nearly as good a KoTOR 1, but still a damn good game.

can't think of what else to recommend that hasn't been mentioned yet. try the games already mentioned, because so far, they have been some pretty good recommendations!

Last edited:
Back