• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asustek Xonar DX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

watchthisspace

Hey, I was just wondering if the Asustek Xonar DX would be worth buying as an upgrade from Onboard? I'm not looking for awesome sound quality, just my onboard is giving me some weird issues and I'd like to take the plunge into something new.

I mostly game, CoD 4, FarCry2, sometimes WarCraft 3 and watch a fair bit of movies through VLC and music on Itunes.

To me onboard sound is fine with my Logitech X-530's, just the poping and cracking and the Sub and right speaker playing as one (when you do the 5.1 test in the Realtek program)

Would this card suit my needs?

Its just that logitech speakers especially the X530 aren't high enough resolution. you're going to notice 'fullness' more than fidelity on your speakers, therefore I don't entirely suggest Asus' soundcards

That said, in terms of giving a fuller sound I'd go with an Auzen Xplosion for the same money. You'll get a higher SNR and better fidelity with reduced richness out of the Xonar just because of the way Asus does things- which would probably be a better trade off on higher fidelity speakers but you're wasting it because your speakers can't match that SNR level.

Its just that logitech speakers especially the X530 aren't high enough resolution. you're going to notice 'fullness' more than fidelity on your speakers, therefore I don't entirely suggest Asus' soundcards

That said, in terms of giving a fuller sound I'd go with an Auzen Xplosion for the same money. You'll get a higher SNR and better fidelity with reduced richness out of the Xonar just because of the way Asus does things- which would probably be a better trade off on higher fidelity speakers but you're wasting it because your speakers can't match that SNR level.

I'll have a good look into the Xplosion then :)

Thanks!

I have the AuzenTech XPlosion with upgraded Op-Amps and love it. Movies and songs never sounded so good, however games are ok with the lack of EAX5.0.

Thanks for your replies, I've found a AuzenTech Cinema for not too much more than the Xonar DX and have it under serious consideration :)

Auzen has been making soundcards for a long time. Asus only in either 2006 or 7 started making cards with the D2/PM- which is vastly inferior to the equally priced, but sadly, no longer produced :bang head Auzentech X-Meridian. That card was freakin unbelievable. While watching TV on my PC with said card (Married With Children) I actually heard-- on normal cable-- peggy walking from what sounded like tile in the entrance, to carpet in the livingroom, to what sounded like a vynil surface in the kitchen. I'm not joking. I'm not embellishing. This has been completely inaudible with every other soundcard I've used with identical speaker setup that I have now.

I no longer have this card... long story... But it is reasonable to assume that if Auzen's high price card was 3x better than asus high price card, then auzen's midrange card will be 3x better than asus midrange card. Atleast to me.

I have the AuzenTech XPlosion with upgraded Op-Amps and love it. Movies and songs never sounded so good, however games are ok with the lack of EAX5.0.

Do many games have EAX5.0 Support, I mainly play just CoD or FarCry 2 atm and probably Left 4 Dead but none of them have any EAX options. And with Vista dropping something to do with Direct Audio (Cannot remember what it was) Didn't it make EAX useless? Even though I'm still on XP and will end up going to 7

Auzen has been making soundcards for a long time. Asus only in either 2006 or 7 started making cards with the D2/PM- which is vastly inferior to the equally priced, but sadly, no longer produced :bang head Auzentech X-Meridian. That card was freakin unbelievable. While watching TV on my PC with said card (Married With Children) I actually heard-- on normal cable-- peggy walking from what sounded like tile in the entrance, to carpet in the livingroom, to what sounded like a vynil surface in the kitchen. I'm not joking. I'm not embellishing. This has been completely inaudible with every other soundcard I've used with identical speaker setup that I have now.

I no longer have this card... long story... But it is reasonable to assume that if Auzen's high price card was 3x better than asus high price card, then auzen's midrange card will be 3x better than asus midrange card. Atleast to me.
Well I'm no audiophile and was looking at complimenting a new sound card later after Xmas with the Logitech Z-5500 speakers/Klipsch Promedia 5.1 or at least a nicer pair of 5.1's. Can be good at times being a teen with a job :)

Last edited:
Do many games have EAX5.0 Support, I mainly play just CoD or FarCry 2 atm and probably Left 4 Dead but none of them have any EAX options. And with Vista dropping something to do with Direct Audio (Cannot remember what it was) Didn't it make EAX useless? Even though I'm still on XP and will end up going to 7

Well I'm no audiophile and was looking at complimenting a new sound card later after Xmas with the Logitech Z-5500 speakers/Klipsch Promedia 5.1 or at least a nicer pair of 5.1's. Can be good at times being a teen with a job :)

Just don't do moron 5.1

If you cant put 2 speakers well behind you, two out to the sides infront and one in the middle get 2.1 or 2.0

Just ordered the Auzentek :)

Well my X-530's are nicely spaced with the rears a good distance behind me, may need to be spread out a bit more, my centre is centre and my front are at the corners of my desk

If I remember right with the Auzentech you should be able to set up speaker distance. This way you get the right sound at the right time. This way you won't have to move your speakers.

I got the card today, can already hear a difference, these speakers definitely don't justify the card.

But I was wondering where you can change the sampling rates? I downloaded the latest drivers from the Auzentech Site and can't find it anywhere. Thanks!

Back