• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are my L2 speeds so much slower w/ higher FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doz

Just like the title says. When I run a 500 FSB, the L2 data rate is MUCH slower. Why is this? Im taking the memory being a bit faster @ 500mhz vs. 533 to be because its running 1:1 @ 500 correct?

445x9.jpg

500x8.jpg

Assuming that the info there is correct, Im guessing it is because the higher FSB puts more (and perhaps, excessive) strain on the CPU and therefore, the L2. Maybe either the motherboard or the CPU compensates by slowing it down a bit as seen by the higher L2 latency (notice how the L1 thoroughput is slightly slower as well?).

Maybe you should run it in 9x then. :)

Yeah, I am going to for now. The numbers im pretty sure are dead on. I ran the benches less than 5 minutes apart. Both settings are prime stable. The memory bandwidth is slightly better but Im not sure if its worth that much loss in cache bandwidth.

You probably have different Performace levels set...they can change automatically.

Show memset in the ss, to make sure all the timings are the same.

Different performance levels?

The only thing changed between the two settings are the NB voltage, FSB, and multiplier. Other than that, everything is the same.

^Transaction Booster...I'm learning the hardships of it right now myself.

what FSB strap? if the NB timings are still auto changing on P45 at 500fsb that would explain why. on P35 any fsb lower then 500mhz would have better results then 500-533mhz results. in that case it really was the nb/fsb strap, which has a timings table to allow for the higher fsb's, just like the ram's timing table.

Back