• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To dual rad...or not to dual rad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Codeman05

Hey guys, quick question for ya...

I currently have the following under water:
1x e8500 @ 4.5GHz (1.425v) w/ EK Supreme block
1x 4870x2 w/ Danger Den Full Cover block

Pump is a D5 & radiator is a BIX II.

My current temps are as follows:
Complete Idle, Ambient 25c: CPU Cores 35c/35c | GPU cores 34c/36c
Prime Blend after 1hr, Ambien 25c: CPU Cores 70c/70c (max 77/78) | GPU cores 37c/40c.

Temps are a little high under load IMO (correct me if I'm wrong) and a buddy of mine has a BIX II that I can get off of him for next to nothing.

So the first question is, can the pump handle the two blocks and two rads? I suspect so, but this is a first for me. Second question is, would the second rad give me a notable drop in temps...again I suspect so but...

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Yeah those temps are a big excessive on your CPU...no more than 60 ~ 70C is my personal limit.

The D5/MCP655 should be plenty. I'm running 2x 2x120 radiators, 3 blocks and a res. Using the flow calculator it's just right. I say go for it.

Thanks for confirming, I also checked Martins FRC, and your right, looked pretty good.
I'll have to see if I can't get something rigged up tomorrow ;)

it should handle it, after all i'm hoping to run 2 MCR320's , a Dtek Fuzion V2 and a MCW60.

Rads won't help your temps much. Your GPU temps are nice and low, I think you'd be running furmark for an hour to get results. The EK supreme is a OKAY block, and okay only. It's an older design and can't handle the heat your pumping out. I'd replace the CPU block first with a GTX or the new V2.

It's the CPU block and your MASSIVE OC.

If you can get another BIXII for next to nothing, get it. There isn't that much difference between CPU blocks temps, whereas the added cooling surface should make a very noticeable difference.

You may also want to make sure you have a good CPU mount.

If you can get another BIXII for next to nothing, get it. There isn't that much difference between CPU blocks temps, whereas the added cooling surface should make a very noticeable difference.

You may also want to make sure you have a good CPU mount.

Yeah, I'll go with voigts on this too. Especially if you can get the other rad for dirt cheap. If the temps on the proc stay high you can always upgrade to a better block later. But your pump should be able to handle 2 rads with no problems and if you have to upgrade the wb later, the GTZ or Fuzion v2 would be good choices.

The EK supreme is a OKAY block, and okay only. It's an older design and can't handle the heat your pumping out. I'd replace the CPU block first with a GTX or the new V2.

Actually, I'm hearing quite the opposite. EK has the highest performance, followed by GTZ and then dtek v2. However, the mounting system of the EK is horrid. You don't know if you've screwed too much or too little. This can lead to uneven pressure. Therefore, I suggest trying to remount the EK.

Actually, I'm hearing quite the opposite. EK has the highest performance, followed by GTZ and then dtek v2. However, the mounting system of the EK is horrid. You don't know if you've screwed too much or too little. This can lead to uneven pressure. Therefore, I suggest trying to remount the EK.

Yea, it was my impression that the EK block was one of the best as well, researched it quite a bit before buying...granted the top 3 blocks were all within 2-3c anyway. :confused:
Contact looks good, I've remounted it twice with the same results and when I pulled it off the contact patch looked ideal. Btw, I had a DD TDX before and temps were about 7-10c higher.

Thanks for the input guys, just got the BIX for $5 lol, so it can't hurt to give it a whirl. I'll start tearing everything down this afternoon

Last edited:
Yea, it was my impression that the EK block was one of the best as well, researched it quite a bit before buying...granted the top 3 blocks were all within 2-3c anyway. :confused:
Contact looks good, I've remounted it twice with the same results and when I pulled it off the contact patch looked ideal. Btw, I had a DD TDX before and temps were about 7-10c higher.

Thanks for the input guys, just got the BIX for $5 lol, so it can't hurt to give it a whirl. I'll start tearing everything down this afternoon

Yup, the top 3 blocks are within 3C of each other. I have a feeling your DTS sensor has malfunctioned.

I have a feeling your DTS sensor has malfunctioned.

Sure could be. I'll try to remount again, but I'm pretty sure contact is good...If I was to put a temp probe on the IHS....how much difference is their typically between the IHS & cores?

I hate crowed cases I would mount rear + side fans on the outside of case.
Looks like you got many fans but all pushing into each other and not blowing out.
Put some small feet on bottom of you case to raise it a inch or so then cut holes for bottom case fans.
Got my cpu down by 10c by cooling area around cpu.
Only go for 2nd radiator if it goes on the outside of the case.

Back