• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Crossfire Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Papafox

I've built and overclocked computers since BC (before Clinton), but so far setting up my first crossfire has not been successful.

The ingredients:
__ Corsair 750Watt PS
__ 2 Asus 4850 video cards (VCs)
__ Asus P5Q Pro MB w Q6550 CPU (running stock speed during this attempt)
__ ATI Catalyst and drivers downloaded yesterday
__ Windows Vista Premium 64
__ 4GB Patriot DDR2 1066 ram
__ 1 sata HD, 1 CD/DVD

The symptoms:
* Both 4850s work fine as the only VC
* DVI cable plugged into lower slot on primary PCI-e card
* When I install two 4850s, I sometimes get an error 43 in Device manager for one of the 4850s, but sometimes I get both VCs recognized without any errors
* CCC only reports one VC. When I disconnect the two Cross-fire bridges between the VCs and start up CCC, I get the crossfire section available but of course it does not offer the checkbox for crossfire because the two VCs are not connected
* I shut down, connect both crossfire bridges, start up, and towards the end of the Windows Vista 64 load I get a BSOD.
* I could not find any cross-fire-related items to change in the MB BIOS

The alternative:
I have a third video card, a 4850 with 1GB of DDR3 (the other two have 512MB). When I substitute the 1GB card for either of the others I get the same problems

Since I am a newbie at cross-fire, you won't hurt my feelings by asking obvious questions.
Papafox

Last edited:
OnDborder,
Thanks for the excellent link. I followed the suggestions and managed to get crossfire working. Looks like updating my Vista files was the solution. Running 3DMark06 and see a substantial improvement, and everything is okay in CCC, too.
cheers,
Papafox

ps: I overclocked cpu to 3.8Ghz and got a 3DMark06 score of over 20,200. Not bad for a couple of $170 video cards

Last edited:
Back