• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'd HomeBuild vs Dell E8400 or Q6600: How Much Faster Will Biz Apps & Adobe Run?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TomBrooklyn

OC'd HomeBuild vs Dell E8400 or Q6600: How Much Faster Will Biz Apps & Adobe Run?

Comparing a Dell E8400 or Q6600 with a homebuilt computer with the same cpu and mildly OC'd, how much faster will the real world results be for the OC'd system to run the following applications?

Business applications: MS Office 2003, Quickbooks, Quicken, Excell,

Database: Access, PsQ, Poker Tracker (large database)

PhotoEditing: Lightroom, Photoshop

Other: Web Browsing, video and movie encoding

No Games.

As you might be able to tell, I'm not interested in pushing the limits of performance. My priority is a rock solid stable system that I don't have to mess with. I'm interested in working with my applications, not working on my computer (hardware, drivers, bios etc.)

If I built I computer, I would want to be able to build it and then forget it. I'm not interested in tweaking it, testing it and/or troubleshooting it once it's built. In fact, if I had to, it would take me away from the work I really want to do and annoy the hell out of me.

On the other hand, I would like a computer that could run appreciable faster than a stock manufactures build. So how much faster would a homebuilt be? Not benchmarking, but running real world apps, especially while intensive multitasking (say running a backup + large database + multiple internet windows and/or photoedit and/or video encode.)

Well, it'd be as much faster as you OC. Pure performance gains are more or less linear with clock speeds.

But a home-built is almost always a wee bit faster than similar OEM, as you get to choose components for exactly what you need; Fast and large HD for storage or a fast graphics card for gaming. DDR1066 if you run something really memory-intense, 667 if you're only CPU-bound, and so on. Options that OEMs don't grant you.

Back