• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone removed/redesigned a CM690 HDD bay???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djlst

Registered
Hey again guys, ive searched everywhere but am still very new to this forum so please forgive me if this has been discussed before.

I am in the process of making my pc silent and the biggest hurdle as many others have found is my 4 old school version 36gb Raptors.

The CM690 uses plastic HDD mounts that slide into the rack.
Im no expert but the design seems pretty silly cause nearly all the air from the front intake fan is blocked by the HDD bay and everything vibrates like crazy with 4 raptors purring away...

Im just wondering if anyone has removed this and designed there own or maybe used something from another case??

Im just going through my options and only have have room to mount 2 maybe 3 in the 5.25 bays with sufficient cooling and silencing. I'd prefer 2 well spaced there in HDD silencers boxes or something, and 2 where the HDD rack was....

So if anyone has done this or something similar and would like to share their ideas please do!!!

Thanks in advance guys!!!

I've taken mine out with metal cutters. Then I cut the rack down to 2 HDD slots, and mounted it upside down on the floor of the case. Makes for much better airflow, if not silence at least

Thanks jamesman32

I was kinda think something like that..... Might even leave 3 slots so I can have a space between the raptors.......

Still open for any other genuis ideas people may have??? Not being this project until next weekend. 6 more nights of sleeping next to vibrating raptors!!!

Some how i missed this post b4....
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=567281

Im assuming your set up is similar to Hookem (post 13)????

I want to do something like that but would like to enclose it as much as possible to minimize the raptor clicks. Maybe completely enclosed front top bottom and sides, an rear opening with a fan blasting through the back.... Depending how it mounts I will cut small exhausts near each HDD to help the air flow through.
Hopefully with the fan blowing from the back and directed out the bottom top or sides of the hdd case, any noise will go into the case rather than through the mesh front.
So many ideas, so little know how!! lol

Back