• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

making sense of gentoo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
Ok I have installed Gentoo 4 times in the past and had a system up for quite some time but never really cared to learn it too deeply. I use the minimal cd all the time for trouble shooting but now I am working with the R&D team and i have no idea how to make heads or tails of the die messages

Near as I can tell these aren't from the stable branch as I have had to unmask them

Code:
* Messages for package sys-block/open-iscsi-2.0.865.12:

* ERROR: sys-block/open-iscsi-2.0.865.12 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_compile
 *             environment, line 3375:  Called linux-mod_src_compile
 *             environment, line 2566:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *               emake HOSTCC="$(tc-getBUILD_CC)" CC="$(get-KERNEL_CC)" LDFLAGS="$(get_abi_LDFLAGS)" ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS} || die "Unable to make ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS}.";
 *  The die message:
 *   Unable to make   all.

this was obviously me trying to emerge open-iscsi but i have no idea what this is telling me other then it couldnt run the make command.
Tips? Pointers? Anything?

Code:
 * ERROR: sys-block/iscsitarget-0.4.15-r1 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_compile
 *             environment, line 3089:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       emake KSRC="${KERNEL_DIR}" kernel || die "failed to build module"
 *  The die message:
 *   failed to build module
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-block/iscsitarget-0.4.15-r1/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-block/iscsitarget-0.4.15-r1/temp/environment'.

"post the topmost build error"

scroll up, find where it actually errored, not just the "there was an error" message

Well turns out there was an update sometime last week and I hadn't updated. I did that right after posting this morning and portage worked itself out.

totally n00b gentoo thing to do. Its all still very new to me

easy thing to do, have portage update nightly using a cron script. create a file in /etc/cron.daily as super-user (use sudo or su -)

Code:
# touch /etc/cron-daily/portage-update
then edit the file and put this in:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
emerge --sync
then chmod the file so it's executable:
Code:
# chmod a+x /etc/cron-daily/portage-update
and make sure you have a cron daemon installed like vixie-cron, and make sure it is running, and it's a good idea to add vixie-cron to start at boot:
Code:
# /etc/init.d/vixie-cron start
# rc-update add vixie-cron default

You could just do this instead:
Code:
echo "#!/bin/bash" > /etc/cron.daily/portage-update
echo "emerge --sync" >> /etc/cron.daily/portage-update
chmod a+x /etc/cron.daily/portage-update

Easier than touching (is touching even needed for anything anymore?) and opening an editor, IMHO.

Even easier:

crontab -e

and just add the emerge --sync line.

No need to write some custom script.

Back