• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

QX9770 compatible boards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SSBN737

hi folks,

I'm working on putting together a new pc built around a QX9770 processor, and I had my board all picked out, the ASUS P5E3 Premium, when suddenly it disappeared from the website I was going to buy it from (I'm in Spain, so my options for high-end stuff are a little limited). Someone then told me that the P45 and X38 chipsets are compatible with the QX9770. So my question is this: is that's the case, can I run a stable configuration on a P45 board and a QX9770? If, so, what bios adjustments will I need to make? I'm not a tech-head, so please keep your answers simple so I don't have to give you one of these :confused: All I was planning on doing was to increase the multiplier from 8 to 9 on the CPU (which I've read doesn't require any voltage adjustments). I'd like to build my system with DDR3 1600 MHz CL7 RAM from G-Skill. By the way, someone suggested the Asus Rampage Extreme, but that has a lot of bells and whistles I'm not gonna use, so I'd prefer a good but cheaper board. Thanks in advance for the advice!

P45 will give you the best OC on a quad.

I'd go w/ a good P45 like the Maximus II Formula, and stick w/ DDR2. The DDR3 won't give you any extra gaming performance, and you'll save a bit of money this way to put toward the mobo.

Or you could go even cheaper w/ something from the P5Q series depending on the options you want.

What kind of things would I have to change on the bios to make it compatible? The P45 runs at 1333 on the FSB if I'm not mistaken. I assume I'd have to change this to 1600. Is that a simple matter of changing a multiplier or would I have to mess with voltages and other stuff?

I'm pretty sure most modern mobos support the QX9770. P45 will run at 800, 1066, 1333, or 1600 depending on the CPU inserted. You can then OC to whatever speed is obtainable. You should be able to hit at least 1800 FSB on a good P35/P45/X38/X48 board.

Even if your mobo booted up at 1333, you should be able to easily set it to 1600. Just change the FSB; leave the multi and vcore alone if you like (I'd reduce vcore if you only want to run stock speeds, though).

Just so you know the QX9770 is way over-priced. You could get a Q9650 that would OC higher and run cooler for less money.

hi folks,

I'm working on putting together a new pc built around a QX9770 processor, and I had my board all picked out, the ASUS P5E3 Premium, when suddenly it disappeared from the website I was going to buy it from (I'm in Spain, so my options for high-end stuff are a little limited). Someone then told me that the P45 and X38 chipsets are compatible with the QX9770. So my question is this: is that's the case, can I run a stable configuration on a P45 board and a QX9770? If, so, what bios adjustments will I need to make? I'm not a tech-head, so please keep your answers simple so I don't have to give you one of these :confused: All I was planning on doing was to increase the multiplier from 8 to 9 on the CPU (which I've read doesn't require any voltage adjustments). I'd like to build my system with DDR3 1600 MHz CL7 RAM from G-Skill. By the way, someone suggested the Asus Rampage Extreme, but that has a lot of bells and whistles I'm not gonna use, so I'd prefer a good but cheaper board. Thanks in advance for the advice!

EDIT: Sent PM

-Collin-

thanks for all your help, I'm slowly getting the hang of this. I think it's just a matter of becoming familiar with the bios pages and seeing what's there and tinkering a bit. I know the QX9770 is overpriced, but I was able to pick one up for less than half retail price, which I thought was a good deal

Back