• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good or decent setup??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ghostnotes

Registered
I haven't posted much since i subscribed, I had to put off my build for a couple of months.

But finally as we speak I'm installing xp 64 on my new machine :beer::beer:

Build was easy except for the intel cpu fan(it really does suck) and will be replacing it soon.
I put it in an old server case for now and will getting a worthy case soon so it looks like crap for now.

This is what I have:

Asus Maximus II mobo
intel E 8500
bfg 9800 gtx
seagate 160gb sata
crucial 4gb ddr2 pc2-8500 1066Mhz
1kva power supply
XP Pro 64 bit

The rest i scavenged from my old system(optical drives etc..)

My old system was old...... real old. it was an H.P. From just when procs broke the 2gb barrier with 512 ram and a 6600 gt o.c.

I'm not trying to set records but is this setup at least decent for overclocking. it's mainly going to be used for a DAW workstation (audio recording).

minus the O.S. I paid $575.00 for everything.....unopened.

Seems like a pretty decent setup for the price. You will definitely be able to o/c it and have some fun. Limit is the sky, try and set some record :) don't hold back.

I'll have to do some learning before i go for records lol. From what i read the bios array is huge with tons of settings. It seems like the mobo is greater than the sum of the rest of the parts and I plan on getting an extreme processor after the new ones come out and the price drops.

I'm trying to find some info on my ram as far as voltages etc.. but I'm having trouble. I want to find out how well it oc's

Anybody hav an idea??

Thanks

It it was me i would set my heart on 4.5GHz - You will get around that i would have thought. But for you - learning and all - try for 4.1 - 4.2 - then see how far your knowledge gets you.

The most important thing, and you MUST do it if you want to do it right - is to modify ONE thing at a time. It takes forever - yes - but in the end its worth it. It is extremely easy to forget where you left off and what you did so i would jot things down as you go.

You have got some good stuff there. I dont see any reason why you cant have a nice hefy overclock on that setup.

That's one of the main reasons i got this motherboard since it has the ability to choose from 2 bios setups so i can run one as a test and the other as my base or safety net.

I've been searching for my ram voltages/timings, the e-8500 proc was easy to find. But before i do anything, i need to know my ram and all i can find is the crucial ballistix but mine is just standard 2x2 gb ddr2 pc2-8500 and before i start i want to figure out how well they perform.

Plus in my mobo manual it tells me to insert my memory into the 2 yellow slots for best oc'ing. I don't have yellow slots just blue and white :confused:

Read the stickies in the CPU section for a basis to get started. Your ram is fine, that is enough speed to run 1:1 faster than you processor will go. Just start at 5-5-5-15 and when you get a stable final CPU speed start tweaking the timings to finish it off.

Read the stickies in the CPU section for a basis to get started. Your ram is fine, that is enough speed to run 1:1 faster than you processor will go. Just start at 5-5-5-15 and when you get a stable final CPU speed start tweaking the timings to finish it off.

Ok it's the same as the ballistix I just wanted to make sure.I'm going to brush up on ram oc'ing today. I had a good understanding a while back but forgot most of what i learned

Back