• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hot chips on motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

Here's a picture of the motherboard I have:

11_183356_0.jpg

What are the chips that particularly get hot when overclocking and should be sinked?

Here's a picture of the motherboard I have:

11_183356_0.jpg

What are the chips that particularly get hot when overclocking and should be sinked?

The ones that already have heatsinks on them. Some replace the passive sinks with an active fan. It never hurts to put a fan blowing past your RAMs either, in my case, a low speed quiet 120mm fan from my drive bay.

Attachments

• RAM cooling fan.JPG
    RAM cooling fan.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 539
What are the pink and green circled ones called? I heard one of these can get hot when overclocking Phenoms.

Attachments

• b20080804_1.jpg
    b20080804_1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 539
Pink = inductor, Green = mosfet

Cool mosfet first since it will impact directly on the power performance when you OC, but if you can cramp those tight area with small sink, the inductor as well since it will be way hotter than mosfet. Although hot inductor has only minimal impact, the problem is they're so hot that it affects the life of the capacitor (rounded silver & blue) that close to them and its toasting those capacitors. Click for an IR example at one of on my sig (Inductors are hotter than mosfet).

Last edited:
Pink = inductor, Green = mosfet

Cool mosfet first since it will impact directly on the power performance when you OC, but if you can cramp those tight area with small sink, the inductor as well since it will be way hotter than mosfet. Although hot inductor has only minimal impact, the problem is they're so hot that it affects the life of the capacitor (rounded silver & blue) that close to them and its toasting those capacitors. Click for an IR example at one of on my sig (Inductors are hotter than mosfet).

Great examples Bing!

Should I sink all the ones in green (I already put minisinks on mosfets for the CPU) just wondering for RAM and NB.

And the one circled in yellow is the NIC... does that get hot?

Attachments

• b20080804_1.jpg
    b20080804_1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 511
I think you're getting a little carried away with sinking everything on the board. I'm assuming your running aggressive air? or water? If so I'd just get the board down in a nice case with some good airflow. You'll spend far more time and money trying to put aluminum or copper on everything than its worth. But if you must, go active cooling on your bridges before you start trying to squeeze heatsinks on your power pieces. To contradict myself, if you do go all out and put heatsinks everywhere, please post pics. I'd love to see them as I'm a huge nerd. GL.

the fets have been known to catch fire on these boards with the higher Wattage CPU's. check out rebels haven for some good info on this board. I have been hanging out over there a lot lately.

here is a pic of one persons solution

http://www.lejabeach.com/Biostar/TA790GXA2+/Board/TA790GXA2-12.jpg

but im not sure if it is the best because if one of the MOSFETs is a little lower/higher than the rest, it will throw off the contact with the rest of the chips. I plan to futher cut up an old socket a sink and do each one individually.

Choose passive sinks carefully. Aluminium is usually better than copper for small areas and passive cooling as the copper retains a lot of heat. Use sinks with wide, thick, well spaced fins and a thick base IMO. Easy airflow is more important than number of fins. As bing said, you might hurt temps by adding the sinks.

Back