• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth upgrading from a 8800gts 512 @ 1024x768?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kx7

Registered
I run everything at 1024x768. I cannot get used to the tiny text with higher resolutions. Is there any reason to upgrade to a gtx 260 or 280 from a 8800gts 512 if i don't run higher than 1024x768? Just wondering if the gtx series would give me higher fps @ 1024x768 compared to the 8800gts 512.. Every review i see with newer cards always shows the highest resolutions, but not the lower one's. I'm not having any problems with my current setup, but i'm just curious about it. I'm running a core 2 duo x6800 @ 2.93ghz, 4 gigs ddr2 667 on a 19 inch lcd.

Last edited:
1024x768 is so conservative I can't imagine the other cards giving a worthwhile increase in performance.

Wow... I think the 8800gts is perfect for that resolution, if not overkill. It will run any game maximum settings no doubt, so not worth upgrading IMO

When gaming at that resolution, you will note an increase by upgrading your CPU rather than your GPU :) E8400 goooo! :p

I run everything at 1024x768. I cannot get used to the tiny text with higher resolutions. Is there any reason to upgrade to a gtx 260 or 280 from a 8800gts 512 if i don't run higher than 1024x768? Just wondering if the gtx series would give me higher fps @ 1024x768 compared to the 8800gts 512.. Every review i see with newer cards always shows the highest resolutions, but not the lower one's. I'm not having any problems with my current setup, but i'm just curious about it. I'm running a core 2 duo e6700 @ 2.66ghz, 4 gigs ddr2 667 on a 19 inch lcd.

Things will look much better at higher resolutions. All you do is go into your font settings and use extra large fonts and icons. I'm at 1680x1050 and I never have a problem seeing text. Just give it a shot. Up your resolution to 1280x1024, go into your font/icon settings and increase their size, and you can also control+mouse wheel to zoom in on text in your browser. I promise that once you do this, and experience the perks of higher resolutions (like tons of extra space on your desktop, way more detail in pictures and games) you'll have a hard time going back to 1024x768. Just food for thought :).

That is, unless you seriously have issues with your eyes and monitor induced headaches. If you do, then by all means, stick to the low resolutions, though I do think that the bigger fonts will help you out substantially.

I think you would be better of spending your money on a nice WS LCD. I'm hearing some rumors of great BF deals on them. Like 150 for a ASUS 24in.

Things will look much better at higher resolutions. All you do is go into your font settings and use extra large fonts and icons. I'm at 1680x1050 and I never have a problem seeing text. Just give it a shot. Up your resolution to 1280x1024, go into your font/icon settings and increase their size, and you can also control+mouse wheel to zoom in on text in your browser. I promise that once you do this, and experience the perks of higher resolutions (like tons of extra space on your desktop, way more detail in pictures and games) you'll have a hard time going back to 1024x768. Just food for thought :).

That is, unless you seriously have issues with your eyes and monitor induced headaches. If you do, then by all means, stick to the low resolutions, though I do think that the bigger fonts will help you out substantially.

I've tried all of that. I simply don't like it. Thanks for all the replies though. I do appreciate it!

if you get a faster card and do 1280 x 1024 probably you can add more settings such as HDR, AA, AF, soft shadows, smoke effects, water reflection, etc etc since you will have more power that arent really using.

What size is your monitor, and is it LCD or CRT? It sounds like your money would be best spent listening to this guy.

I think you would be better of spending your money on a nice WS LCD. I'm hearing some rumors of great BF deals on them. Like 150 for a ASUS 24in.

I've got a 28" 1920x1200 screen, and the text is HUGE w/o any tweaks. You do know that you can run games at a different resolution than your desktop, right?

yeah you can run your games at a higher resolution, but your desktop can still be your size.

For low resolution, you'd also have a larger performance increase from simply overclocking your E6700 to ~3.4ghz or so. (or grab a E8400/E8500)

I run everything at 1024x768. I cannot get used to the tiny text with higher resolutions

Time for a bigger monitor if you want to use higher resolution. The bigger the monitors the higher resolution you can use without the tiny text. I would say the text size on my 24" @ 1920x1080 would be about the same size as your 19" @ 1024x768

At lower resolutions your CPU is a bottleneck. I would upgrade your CPU. You have an 8800GTS G92 so you are more than fine at those low resolutions.

At lower resolutions your CPU is a bottleneck. I would upgrade your CPU. You have an 8800GTS G92 so you are more than fine at those low resolutions.

How is the CPU a bottleneck at lower resolutions like 1024x768? Wouldn't it be a bottleneck at higher resolutions? :confused:

BTW, running a x6800 now. :) Got it cheap from a friend.

Bigger screen man. I use to hate high resolutions also. Wears your eyes out trying to read and see all the small icons. But a 37" LCD at 1920x1080 fixed that, everything is the perfect size. Something like the Hans-G 28" for >$400 might be your biggest and best upgrade you can make for years to come.

I agree with most saying you'll get a much nicer upgrading to a bigger monitor. I don't think you need to go balls to the wall crazy and get something like a 28" widescreen, but a 22" widescreen will be an amazing upgrade from a 19" non widescreen.

agreed I was gonna upgrade vid card before but I upgraded monitor and it made a huge difference best money ive spent yet, but then I upgraded the vid card to keep up... but I upgraded to what you have from two 1950 pro's

Back