• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GotGame Launches Rogue, The First In-Game Web Browser

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AuDioFreaK39

Registered
GotGame Launches Rogue, The First In-Game Web Browser
November 21, 2008, 9:00 AM

SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- GotGame, the company that enables gamers to access the in-game content they desire, today launched Rogue, its highly anticipated web browser.

Gamers spend a quarter of their time in game waiting for teammates to log in or games to load. They want something to do during this downtime, but exiting or minimizing the game means missing critical action.

Rogue eliminates this waiting game, enabling PC gamers to surf the web via a fully functional web browser without ever leaving their favorite games. Players can navigate to Wowhead to obtain information about items in World of Warcraft, or pull up Hulu to watch movie clips between Counter-Strike rounds; these are just two of the countless options available.

In order to use Rogue, gamers simply visit rogue.gotgame.com and download the free application. By hitting a hotkey, users can overlay the application in their favorite games; the browser will appear as though it were a part of the game itself, without disrupting any in-game functionality.

You can see a video of Rogue in action on YouTube or GotGame Videos.

The application is optimized to impact the gaming experience as little as possible. Gamers can set the browser's transparency setting so the entire game screen is still visible, even if the browser is open. This means that they can, for instance, watch online videos overlaying their game at 50% transparency, while at the same time "grinding" for experience in Age of Conan.

Rogue's Notable Features:
-- Game overlay for Windows XP & Vista
-- Full CSS, Javascript, and Flash support
-- Hot key to open/hide browser when in game
-- Configurable transparency settings
-- Optimization toggle for faster/slower computers

gmaildragon.jpg

About GotGame

GotGame enables gamers to access the content and community they crave through a variety of in-game applications and Internet content portals. Through the LIVE and Rogue downloadable applications, GotGame offers gamers advanced communication, browser, and content delivery tools they can use inside of the most popular PC games. GotGame also operates the GotGame Network, which includes one of the most exciting gaming video-sharing sites (videos.gotgame.com), a widely-read gaming news site (news.gotgame.com), and the largest syndicated radio show about gaming in the world (radio.gotgame.com).

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayR...STORY=/www/story/11-21-2008/0004930576&EDATE=

Last edited:
I'm confused on the WoW one, just put it in "windowed mode" and set it to "maximize". Looks exactly like fullscreen and you can have windows (browsers, etc) in front of it.

Installed it then uninstalled it after maybe 2 minutes...couldnt find a way to change any of the settings (home page, network security, etc)...

Wont have a program like this that wont let me controll it...

I'm confused on the WoW one, just put it in "windowed mode" and set it to "maximize". Looks exactly like fullscreen and you can have windows (browsers, etc) in front of it.

Windowed mode doesn't offer the same performance that fullscreen does. Yes even in wow the performance hit is noticeable.

Windowed mode doesn't offer the same performance that fullscreen does. Yes even in wow the performance hit is noticeable.
I see 10 fps drop or so. When it is 80+, I don't mind that 10 ;)

I know that isn't always the case for everyone though :)

From the ss, it appears that that Rogue runs while WoW(or whatever game) is in fullscreen mode. If that is the case, It's truly, an "ingame" web browser, otherwise, completely useless. I'll have to check this out tonight and see for myself.

alt + tab.

The whole purpose is to NOT alt-tab, in case you didn't notice. When you alt-tab out, you no longer can see what is going on in the game, and it can take several seconds to alt-tab out of full-screen games (both DirectX and OpenGL). Please, read the full description.

Back