• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CAD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cadman420

I am currenly building a new rig. liquid cooled etc. but I run alot of CAD programs from 2d modeling to 3d modeling. I have read some threads on here stating that games have restrictions to how much RAM a computer has and how much it will really use but does any one know if the same is true for AutoCad or Solidworks?

I am currenly building a new rig. liquid cooled etc. but I run alot of CAD programs from 2d modeling to 3d modeling. I have read some threads on here stating that games have restrictions to how much RAM a computer has and how much it will really use but does any one know if the same is true for AutoCad or Solidworks?
Never heard of a restriction for games. I think you're referring to the limitation of a 32-bit OS only recognizing up to 4GB of RAM and actually leaving you with a usable 3.25GB. Any 64-bit OS doesn't have that problem. Your programs will use whatever your OS makes available.

I haven't heard of that before either. All of my games run fine with 8GB.

Cool,
Was going to put 8 gb in my new machine anyways. Thought I would ask someone before getting it. Thanks

Cool,
Was going to put 8 gb in my new machine anyways. Thought I would ask someone before getting it. Thanks

Sorry to respond so late, but you need to check with your CAD programs. Not all CAD programs let you use the full range of memory. At work we found that out the hard way. We still use Inventor version 11 which is limited to 3gb of ram. We ran head first into that problem with our latest project, causing a lot of delays. We are going to switch to Inventor 2k9 in the near future which should allow full memory access.

Also, not all CAD programs work with multiple cores yet either. It's better to go for a faster dual core than slower quad core if you are only using the computer for CAD and nothing else. Some FEA programs allow multi-core and full memory use though, so I would recommend quad core and 8gb ram if you run a lot of simulations.

Back