• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will running high voltage at idle damage cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OBLIVIONLORD

The P5E-VM mobo I have apparently has a terrible vdrop of .15 at most that inorder to pass the Intel BurnTest with the Q9550 @ 3.4ghz, I have to set the CPU voltage to 1.35. At 3.6ghz I have to set it to 1.4v because it drops to 1.25v while at load. Speedfan is what I use to read the volts and while at Idle it shows 1.35 or so, not 1.4v as was selected in the bios.

I'm sure that if I were to increase the voltage further to say 1.45v in the bios then it would probably show up as 1.4v in Speedfan while at idle and drop to 1.32 or so while at load.

If I did this then would the cpu still get damaged even though it's only at this voltage while at idle since Intel recommends the max voltage to be 1.36v?

Have you tried updating it to the latest BIOS and enabling LLC to decrease the vdrop?

If you don't have a LLC option and the BIOS update doesn't help it, you could always do the v-drop pencil mod. Linky

Back