• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista Repair, Upgrade, & Easy Transfer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Typhoon859

Registered
One of the things made better with Vista is its Recovery Disc. I'm not too sure what SPECIFICALLY some of the features do so I'm basically wondering how far I can take some of its functions. In my following questions, I will ask something general and then something specific to my needs/purposes. (Remember that all the questions are for Windows Vista, 64-bit to be exact)

-What parts of Windows does Windows Repair check for and which files does it fix/reinstall? (When I say files, I mean files that can affect things at a large scale, like registry entries.)
-Does Windows Repair effect any of the installation entries related to the hardware?

-What exactly does Windows Upgrade do?
-Does Windows Upgrade effect any of the installation entries related to the hardware?
*From my understanding, doesn't Windows Upgrade basically reinstall all of Windows, completely fresh, as if a clean install on a fresh disc, while keeping all your files/programs and their settings (basically everything else besides Windows files themselves)? If so, I don't see the problem in changing the motherboard and carrying on without formatting your hard drive. I think that it was just an impossibility/unlikelihood for XP.

MOST IMPORTANT
-What are the different things that can be done with Windows Easy Transfer (interesting new feature)?
-Is Easy Transfer necessarily from computer to computer or can it be from hard drive to hard drive?
*From what I understand/saw possible, Easy Transfer allows you to copy all of your files and installations along with their settings over from one computer to the other that has the same OS through some sort of cable, correct?

-Thanks in advance.

Back