• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are/were your GX2 temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Satsumomo

Hey guys :)

Ok so I'm getting 80ºC idle w/fan at 55%, and when under load w/fan at 100% I might see up to 105ºC on demanding games.

What are YOUR temps? I've seen some people getting insanely low temps such as 60ºC under load with the GX2, which seems impossible for me. I have an intake fan on the side of the case, blowing into the GX2, and well here's the rest of my setup:
Managed.jpg
(Add one 80mm exhaust fan on the top, not in this picture)

I have an EVGA product, I read some people removing the metal casing, and also re-greasing the whole thing with AS5. If I do this, will I void my warranty? Is my card defective?

Something must be wrong with the hsf... maybe not seated properly and it wasn't tested. Or they messed up on the TIM somehow. You bought that card brand new?

Yup, I've had it for about 3 1/2 months now. Some people would just say this is GX2 territory, but after reading some posts of people with these low temperatures, I'm starting to not believe this is "normal". :(

I don't know if this helps, but my cards went from about 80°C under load to 70°C under load after changing motherboards. :shrug:

I just sold my GX2 but in my setup I was in the upper 40's at idle with 55% fan speed and in the 50's under load at 100% fan. Only on a rare occasion would it get up to 60.

The people hitting 60C under load are either lying, watercooling, or think that load == Windows is loaded ;)

Normal temps should be more like 50's idle and 65-80C load with default fan settings, depending on ambient and case flow of course. How many intake fans/vents do you have?

The people hitting 60C under load are either lying, watercooling, or think that load == Windows is loaded ;)

Normal temps should be more like 50's idle and 65-80C load with default fan settings, depending on ambient and case flow of course. How many intake fans/vents do you have?

I ran my 9800GX2 in a Antec 900 with 5 120mm case fans and a 200mm exhaust fan with a pci slot cooler dual fan setup, plus a 120mm HSF and it idled at roughly 48 degrees at 55% speed according to RivaTuner's hardware monitor. While gaming (which I consider under load) the temps read by RivaTuner were in the mid to high 50's at 100% speed. I have good ambient temps in the case and my house stays cool. My case is like a windtunnel and I don't have cooling issues so maybe my readings are the exception as opposed to the norm. I know that my temps never shot up much past 60 if it did at all that I can recall.

My HD 4870 temps in the same case are even lower.

Last edited:
Ambient temperature here is around 23-25ºC which is something above 70ºF. I have a Coolermaster CM690, with 2 intake 120mm, 1 x 120mm exhaust (Scythe ninja) and a single 80mm as an exhaust too.

No other coolers, except for the Tuniq 120 on the CPU. At this precise moment, my card is idling at 80ºC and 84ºC w/55% fan. (Always around 5ºC difference between GPUS)

So will opening up my card and re-greasing everything void my warranty?

mine usually loaded no more than 70c with fan at 70% on air, i did remove the retarded 2 piece metal shroud though and it ran even cooler than that.

So will opening up my card and re-greasing everything void my warranty?

EVGA doesn't care what you do to the card as long as it looks like stock when you return it. You can water cool their cards and keep warranty so just remounting the stock cooler is no problem at all.

Sweet, I'm gonna do this right now then. Thanks! (Will be back with results)

I'm back guys.

I disassembled my card, and found this one detail, when I was unscrewing the outer case, the case suddenly popped open, as if under force. Now look at this:

Unassemble007.jpg

As you can see, it's not perfectly straight; one of the plastic "sticks" that is has is out of place, in an incorrect position, forcing the card to be in this semi-open state.

When I got everything out, I saw the sub-par TIM job (Sloppy tape for the memory) and well I proceeded to fill everything with AS5.

Unassemble009.jpg

Unassemble008.jpg

Beautiful GPU I'd say:

Unassemble010.jpg

Well I fired her up. Ran Farcry 2 at 1920x1200 with 4xAA. Yeah, it was all at 5-15fps... but max temp? Core 1 73ºC Core 2 66ºC (Yeah that problem didn't seem to go away :(). Idle with 55% fan is about 65ºC now.

This is so much better! FINALLY. A whole 30ºC drop in temperatures.

Nice, those temps are right where they should be. Shame they don't test them properly to begin with.

Back