• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice is needed about my new Upgrade Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

j_h3000

Registered
hi there I have:

CPU: Intel E6750
M/B: Intel DG33FB
Ram: DDR2 800MHZ (2x2GB)
VGA: Asus 8600 GTS
HDD: WD 500 GB 3 GB/s
PSU: thermal take TR2-550
Monitor: LG 19" wide 1440*900

And I'm about to Upgrade My Pc to:

CPU: I'll keep the E6750 meanwhile

M/B: ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe = $212

Ram: Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (7-7-7-20) = $207 -$30 M.I.R

VGA: XFX GTX260/216 Black Edition = $299

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W = $119 - $20 M.I.R

Monitor: I'll Keep this one too (hopefully I'll upgrade it soon)

My Budget is limited (around 850$) and i dont think i can pay more money

i want my pc to be an excellent gaming pc and wanna have good overclocking rates (never done it before), considering my budget, Question is, Is this rig good for my money or i can get better build for this amount of money ? I just want to get the best gaming performace for my money

i think P5q3 Deluxe does not support SLI but again, i might never go SLI
but just in case, is there a better mobo (nvidia compatible) for me to buy ?

any recommencations about parts and brands ?

waiting for your recommendations and suggestions
Thanks in advance

If you are trying to get the best "bang for ur buck" why are u using DDR3, u might want to look at DDR2 and a P45 board which together would cost less then the P5Q3
Also is the XFX GTX 260 worth the extra $80 over a EVGA that has step-up and lifetime warrenty?

Last edited:
thanks for your reply

but i said that i want the best performance i can get for my money

so i guess ddr3 is faster and p5q3 is good for overclocking
and xfx GTX260 comes with higher clock speed for core and ram

so what do u recommend ? is there a better build performance wise ?

if you are going to fork out the money for those, either fork out the money for a nehalem setup, or just go with the videocard and psu upgrade.

Getting that mobo and the ddr3 ram is useless imho.

I agree with what was said up there ^. The Giga UD3P can be had for $120ish and w/ rebates is sub $100. You can keep the ram you have now or replace or double that for under $60 and spend more on video.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358

The ud3R is even cheaper w/o a few features. Mostly it's one vid slot or two. These are fantastic boards. The upgrade to DDR3 is not money well spent in this situation IMO.

The choice of the UD3P may require a rethink of your GPU choice as it's xfire and not SLI compatible.

if you are going to fork out the money for those, either fork out the money for a nehalem setup, or just go with the videocard and psu upgrade.

Getting that mobo and the ddr3 ram is useless imho.

Well said. If your motherboard will not OC at all then I would go with a cheap P43, such as the Asus P5QL. There is just no sense in spending that kind of money on a high end motherboard for your uses. Your ram is fine, no need to upgrade it, particularly for gaming.

IMHO what you need to upgrade after the GPU and PSU is your monitor. A decent 22" can be had for $200-$250 and will give you a better gaming experience than an extra 200Mhz of CPU OC.

thank you guys

TimoneX thanks for this excellent choice, i cant believe i didn't see it before !
and guess what ... it gets better there's a combo at newegg (the UD3P + Rosewill RX750-D-B 750W) for only $201.98 and after mir it'll be $181.98 !! excellent choice considering its price

and i guess i'll get a CORSAIR DOMINATOR (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) for $69.00 after m.i.r.

that's a sweet 250 bucks

now i can choose a better VGA
so the question is ... what do u recommend ?

i saw an MSI GTX280 for $389.99 after m.i.r.

and an EVGA GTX 280 for $404.99 after m.i.r.

so do u recommend the GTX 280 ? or there is a better choice ? and if you do what brand should i buy ?

i really appreciate your help guys

I'd probably sell that PSU and get a better unit immediately. Rosewill PSUs kinda give me the willies...but that's just me and I'm a PSU freak. :)

That's alot of cash for a vid card bud and the mobo is xfire compatible not SLI so I'd rather see you pair it with an ATI card like the 4850x2 for similar $$$.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102809&Tpk=4850x2

Open box 4870x2. Dunno how you feel about that...but that's one smokin' fast card. I can't even imagine utilizing all that power. I just went from an HD3850 to an HD4850 and it's plenty of juice for me. Everyone's milage varies though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131116R

I'm sorry but my English is poor, so i didn't get this right

did you mean that i should sell my old thermaltake PSU or you r suggesting that i shouldn't buy the rosewill ?

and for the VGA ... i'm not planning to buy another GTX 280 to have SLI (at least not in the next 6 months) so i'm not worry about SLI right now

but what worries me is the amount of heat coming out of the HD 4850x3 or 4870x2
cause i heard alot of talking about overheating issues with these series of ATI
so what do u think ?

The rosewill PSUs I've had experience with have been lightweight and cheaply built PSUs, I wouldn't trust one to power my main rig.

You won't be able to run SLI on that motherboard now or in 6 months...or after that for that matter. It will never work on that board. As long as you're aware of that then purchasing an nVidia card is fine, if that's your preference, but it will limit your future upgrade options. I haven't heard of any issues with the 4850x2 overheating, but I've no first hand experience with it either as I'm a casual gamer and find a single HD4850 to meet my needs.

ok thank you timonex for your help

i guess i'll forget about rosewill and i'll buy a corsair 750

for the VGA I have no problem with the ATI cards except for the overheating issues that i heard so i'll wait some one who have tried it or knows something about it for sure
cause i saw a review and they stated there that the temperature was over 85 degree and thats really hot !!

For some weird reason the stock coolers are designed to run with very very low fan speeds resulting in very high temps. This was certainly true of my HD4850. When I first looked at the ATI overdrive tab of catalyst the temp was 74c at idle. A simple flick of the wrist and the default fan speed was 50% and idle temp was 40c. I think most of this overheating misunderstanding comes from the simple fact that the default fan speeds are set ridiculously low.

TimoneX all the reviews i read say that the HD 8450x2 is a very powerful card but it either run very hot or it gets really noisy because of its dual fan design, so i'm now confused, cause i dont wanna get a great card and then regret later for buying such extremely noisy one, so unless there is a solution for that problem i'll go with Nvidia GTX280 form evga paying sot extra bucks but knowing that i have a lifetime warranty and a stepup option
thanks for your advices it was really helpful, you convinced me to stay away from the DDR3 though i really liked the P5q3 Deluxe mobo.

ok thank you timonex for your help

i guess i'll forget about rosewill and i'll buy a corsair 750

for the VGA I have no problem with the ATI cards except for the overheating issues that i heard so i'll wait some one who have tried it or knows something about it for sure
cause i saw a review and they stated there that the temperature was over 85 degree and thats really hot !!

j_h,

You will be doing yourself a big favor buying that Corsair over the Rosewill PSU. You got good advice on that above.

Back