• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any amazing deals for 4870/gtx core 216?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeHappy

I was just curious to see if anyone knows of any really good deals on gpu's coming up.

I recently got a 8800gtx and hooked her into my loop. She was running outstanding until I decided to service the fans to make them more quiet.

Powered off completely and removed the card (not the waterblock, just removed it from the pciE slot and removed power cables from card)

Removed the fans and put in a small drop of 3 & 1 machine oil into the canal.

I then put the fans back on and she wouldn't boot. I took them back off and left the heatsinks on without the fans, and installed another fan in its place.

No go. All it would do is start the fans+lights in my comp for about 1/2sec.
Fans wouldnt even make a full rotation. Then it wouldnt power on until I unplugged the power cord from the PS.

Tried tinkering a little more, and finally got it to post with the card attached, but nothing coming from gpu-no bios, nothing.

When it boots up it has a long beep and then 2 short beeps. Looked that up and its a video error.

Mobo display says "FF" which means it posted.

Long story short, I think its toast....:shrug:

I dont have another card to put in to make sure its the card and nothing else, and I cant put this one in my other comp because it requires water cooling...

So...... anyone know of any good deals?

Last edited:
Before spending and $$ I would try the card in another system, and scour the surface of the card using a magnifying glass to try and find any drop that could be on there. Pull the hsf off and re-seat it, try everything.

Before spending and $$ I would try the card in another system, and scour the surface of the card using a magnifying glass to try and find any drop that could be on there. Pull the hsf off and re-seat it, try everything.

Yeah Its worth it to try and mess with it a little more. I would try it in another system, but I don't have another puter with a water loop.

If this thing is dead it would be my 1st part Ive screwed up. Guess it happens to everyone AT LEAST once.

One good thing is if it's dead I can still use some of the heatsinks + water block for the next card I get.:p

Last edited:
"If you've been in the game this long and haven't broken something, you're not trying hard enough." -Someone here on OCF.

You don't have an old cpu heatsink you can lay on the card? Just flip the pc upside down!

"If you've been in the game this long and haven't broken something, you're not trying hard enough." -Someone here on OCF.

I like that. Makes me feel better.

You don't have an old cpu heatsink you can lay on the card? Just flip the pc upside down!

Its volt modded so it puts off more heat than a regular 8800gtx...

I really dont, I was thinking about running it in a comp with no waterblock on it, and just having a can of duster blowing on it to cool it off.

Its volt modded so it puts off more heat than a regular 8800gtx...

I really dont, I was thinking about running it in a comp with no waterblock on it, and just having a can of duster blowing on it to cool it off.

LMAO!! Thats going in the quote file. If you turn the can upside down and spray the liquid is something like -70°F I think....

Lol yeah I know. We used to burn the crap out of each other at work with those cans.

I have always wanted to try it on a cpu/gpu and this gives me the chance.

I'm going to let a more experienced person take a look before I mess up something that could have been fixed easily.

This is my old Viper John card..I feel really bad about this..both for you and for that poor card..:p
have you spoken to John to see if maybe he can help?
It's probably worth mailing it to him to see if there is anything he can do.
Worst thing that can happen is he confirms its dead...

Back