• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 2x2GB to get? OCZ Reaper HPC or G.Skill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MyMindSpray

Hey everyone,

I'm building a computer and have a question about which memory to get.

It will be a P5Q Pro, running an e8400 in an Antec 900 case. I'm building on a budget sort of, (I'd love to get something together for $650-$700 ideally). I've already decided on getting 4GB of DDR2 800mhz ram, but the question is which one? From a rough scanning, I've gathered that G.Skill seems to be the preferred ram for now, and it's only $15 more than the OCZ Reaper HPC. There appear to be timing difference too, which I'm not entirely educated on, but yes, I do plan on small to moderate OC'ing of the system.

There's the OCZ which people say is good, but what's pictured is not what people are getting from newegg (silver heat dispersers vs copper, a height issue, and perhaps running hotter than expected, or at least versus the copper), but it's $29.99 after MIR.

There's also the G.Skill which has been praised, but is $44.99.

Bottom line is, do you think the difference between what's pictured and what is received for the OCZ ram is worth the $15 difference to 'upgrade' to the G.Skill?

First post from a second time builder (with the first gone horribly wrong due to not enough homework being done)!

***Edit***: For clarification, here are the silver OCZ's that actually come from newegg (the second 2 pictures).

Last edited:
hmmm..

Since ur not going to OC that much i would go with the OCZ...they are pretty dependable if u dont oc it too high...the g skills are top notch right now..best bang for the buck..Im a corsair guy..but g skills would be my second choice..or mushkins :attn:

I have the G=Skill F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B, they run solid and stable at low settings. $49.99 shipped at Newegg. See sig for memory details.

I got those G.Skills for $44.99 and I don't even overclock! LOL. I wanted reliable 2x2GB RAM for my new ASUS P5Q Pro and the G.Skills were on the QVL list or whatever it's called.

i quit running ocz because they died on me alot, too much.. 4 or 6 sets? something like that.. ive had great luck with gskill :)

but im still stuck on d9gmh for day to day and d9gct to kick the **** out of when the mood strikes heheh.

I've been using my OCZ's since the P35 and have yet to have a problem with them, much less having them die on me. Running way past spec (525 (ddr2 1050) 5-5-5-15 2T and 2.2v without so much as a hiccup.

Also running a 1gb kit of these Gskills with the OCZ's at the same speed/voltage. All I did was plop 'em right in next to the OCZ's and power up. Both sets running like champs.

The OCZ's max out around 1060. They'll boot @ 1066, but require more voltage then I'm willing to use for 24/7.

I've read that the reapers are a hit or miss on certain boards.

Last edited:
well, maybe i was careless then.. tough to say.. i had fans and all that jazz. it could have been just a gmh thing, ive had lots of that stuff die. it also could have been my old board, p5k-d. it killed ocz, ballistix, and gskills. i had some of that ocz camo stuff only my p5b-d, and they lived for 2 days :(

again, voltage was my friend at the time heheh.

till it turned its back on me!

my Reaper X kit has overclocked from 800 4-4-3-15 (stock) to 1066 5-5-5-15 no problem. i highly recommend this kit, although it does only allow you to have 1 set, as the heatpipe's width obstructs you from using all 4 slots.
the normal Reaper would (i assume) use the same chips. only difference to Reaper X is the cooling.

as with G-skill, they are cheaper but (i've heard) don't overclock as well. their cooling also doens't look as efficient or effective as Reaper's.

I had bought that G. Skill kit you linked for a friend to run in his P5Q Pro and both sticks gave massive memory errors. I then brought them home to try in my P5Q Pro and had the same luck on it. So either I got a kit with 2 bad sticks of ram in it or they changed up something from when the QVL was run on the board. I ended up getting a 2 X 2GB kit of OCZ ram that was on the QVL for the P5Q Pro and it works like a charm.

Now I just ordered a kit of the ram that TranceBear is talking about above to run in my main rig. It's a definite bargain for a 4 gig kit that can overclock fairly decently.

EDIT: I got tired of playing the D9 shuffle. I just had another kit of D9 based ram bite the dust a week or so ago in my main rig. And I wasn't even pushing it hard either. :(

Back