• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

keep a 5 year old raptor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ardorius

Registered
hey guys, so i'm ordering my new rig, but i don't know if my 5 year old 74gb raptor should have a spot in it. Firstly, it's very small (69gb), and If I add another 500gb hdd, I'll just be messing around with games/apps/os being on the raptor and everything else on the 500gb. I kind of just want to stay with 1 hdd and get rid of the raptor. What do you guys think? Any other ideas?

rig:
q6600
p5q pro
corsair dominator 4gb
corsair 750tx
asus 4850 top

hey guys, so i'm ordering my new rig, but i don't know if my 5 year old 74gb raptor should have a spot in it. Firstly, it's very small (69gb), and If I add another 500gb hdd, I'll just be messing around with games/apps/os being on the raptor and everything else on the 500gb. I kind of just want to stay with 1 hdd and get rid of the raptor. What do you guys think? Any other ideas?

rig:
q6600
p5q pro
corsair dominator 4gb
corsair 750tx
asus 4850 top

I have had 2 74 giggers in a RAID-0 for over 4 years and still going strong. Just make sure you back-up on a regular basis then nothing can go wrong except having to reload your files.

thank you for your input.

unfortunately, i will not be having enough funds to buy another one and do raid 0. I was thinking a WD 500gb for 60-70 dollars.

thank you for your input.

unfortunately, i will not be having enough funds to buy another one and do raid 0. I was thinking a WD 500gb for 60-70 dollars.

I mentioned that to let you know these drives are very reliable even in high-stress setups like RAID-0. If 74gb is enough for what you need then I would not hesitate using it again. Good Luck!

keep it, i am sure it still performs as good

use the raptor as your main OS drive and programs and the 500g for everything else.

There's nothing wrong with having 2 drives. Like Mr.Guvernment said OS and programs on the raptor and everything else on the other one. If you wanted you could have a 70GB partition of the new drive with a bootable clone of the raptor just incase something goes wrong.

I'm using the exact same drive and so far haven't seen any other drive that impresses me enough to consider it worthy of getting rid of but the space does tend to run low but I just quit installing useless crap like games that I don't plan on playing very often or if I'm bored with a certain game I just give it to my neice like cod4 and and fallout 3, that's 10 free gigs of space right there lol but I will use this drive until it no longer functions because for being 5 years old it still gives even todays fastest drive a run for the money.

I'd keep it as it's not a bad drive. I built my new rig a month ago and I put in my 74gig Raptor.

I also picked up a Velociraptor I put in and haven't used it yet. The plan is rather than have an XP partition and a Vista Ultimate partition, I have my system just the way I like it on the 74gb Raptor, when I get around to it I'm going to give Vista one more chance and put it on the Velociraptor. I'm trying to be open minded but I bet it will be a week before I put XP on the Velociraptor and use that and the 74 raptor for storage.

PS, Here's another option, if your 74gb raptor and 500gig 2nd hdd will suffice for now, use them until the 20,000 rpm Raptors are for sale or SSD's get to the point where their writes are on par with the read. (and SSD's cost the same as a Velociraptor and performance in both read and write will outperform a Velociraptor) I'm getting a 20,000rpm Raptor no matter, even if SSD's get better and a good one doesn't break my bank.

I've had two 74gb raptors for 4 years and I don't plan on getting rid of them any time soon...unless velociraptors drop in price ;) If you need more space buy a 7200.10 drive and use it for storage.

If I add another 500gb hdd, I'll just be messing around with games/apps/os being on the raptor and everything else on the 500gb

There is nothing wrong with this. Some of us intentionally design our pc's this way. Even if you don't have a raptor in this mix, having two hard drives and designing your filesystem such that os/apps on one, docs/temp/files on another, has a noticeable positive effect on system performance. Depending on the usage pattern, in some cases, two drives can yield better system performance in this way than in a raid0.

Agreed.
That's exactly how I setup my rig.
Two Raptors RAID 0 for OS/Apps
Three 320gig drives for storing all my crap

I've been setting up my rigs like this for years.

Back