• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing my DDR3 on my 790I mobo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SF101

The Printer Guru
Alright so when i bought this mobo i also bought some OCZ3N2000SR2GK - 2000mhz capable (sorta) ram. I have never been able to get this ram stable @ 2000mhz to begin with it runs at 1600mhz 7-7-7-20 right now
I want to buy another 2gb of ram for my pc but this stuff is still 260-280 $ on any canadian site i have found and getting it shipped here will cost similar dollars buy the time it gets through the border ect.

my question is can i run OCZ3P16002GK - 1600mhz capable ram with 7-7-7-20 capable timings along side the SLI junk i already have?. or do you think there will be any Compatibility issues?

anyone else find it quite amazing no one really knows.

I honestly feel miss lead by Nvidia because of the problems they have with stability on these DDR3 boards when using for example 4 sticks of ram or ram over 1600mhz esp when they put the SLI branding on 2000mhz ram which from my experience is impossible to get stable with a FSB over 1333mhz.

I think that this will turn me off anything Nvidia (board wise) for the rest of my days. at least Intel states 1066 to 1333 Mhz DDR3 for there new I7 Boards. there for people don't run out and blow 300$ on ram that wont run at the speeds advertised.

and now wondering if i can even run 4x1gb sticks on this board with any overclock is to say the least gutting because with vista 64 it struggles with 2gb in some games and the ram was nearly 300$ just for 2gb's.

I've messaged the ram manufactures as well and they are ignoring the post its quite sad to me that ddr3 and 790i capability's are so alien that manufactures wont comment.

Back