• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wat are artefacts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They are errors in what ever is being displayed on the screen (usually on somthing 3d)

Like if you are playing a game, and parts of a wall or floor are not the color the are supposed to be.

The artifacts I remember the most were on aquamark 03, by the end of the test all the floors and walls would be flashing green triangles all over them.

They are errors in what ever is being displayed on the screen (usually on somthing 3d)

Like if you are playing a game, and parts of a wall or floor are not the color the are supposed to be.

The artifacts I remember the most were on aquamark 03, by the end of the test all the floors and walls would be flashing green triangles all over them.

ok but why are these errors caused? shudn't the gpu run at watever speed we tell it to?

You really shouldn't be OC'ing... You need to check your videocard temps. You can OC within reason like anything else, but lets say you set the GPU to 1000mhz it will not do it, just isnt that simple.

You really shouldn't be OC'ing... You need to check your videocard temps. You can OC within reason like anything else, but lets say you set the GPU to 1000mhz it will not do it, just isnt that simple.

at 620mhz, my temp is (57C at idle) and (61C on overload)
i was askin u dat question cuz i didnt get it....why would the errors occur in the first place?
im askin u this cuz its not mentioned in the guide....

Whats your memory clocks at? Seems you should be able to go higher on the GPU as far as I have seen from other 8600's.

Whats your memory clocks at? Seems you should be able to go higher on the GPU as far as I have seen from other 8600's.

300mhz......havent oc'ed it yet. i wanna first see how much my gpu can go upto max(as was said in the guide)!!!!!

Then that might be the highest you can go on the videocard, I don't know a ton about 8600's. Turn it down 10 and check results.

His question is what is the reasoning behind artifacts, as in what is that causes them to appear. Not just the unstable OC, but what is going on in the GPU that is making it display artifacts/graphical glitches.

His question is what is the reasoning behind artifacts, as in what is that causes them to appear. Not just the unstable OC, but what is going on in the GPU that is making it display artifacts/graphical glitches.

thnx for clearing up my question dude.....anyways do u have any idea why this happens and how does an oc become unstable in the case of a graphics card?

We cannot give you a complete answer as to why the overclock causes graphical anomalies, as there too many factors to take into account. Issues ranging from electrical gates, line degredation, EMI leakage, failing mosfets, voltage ripples, ETC. all come into play when we take the frequencies outside the designated tolerances. Any chance there is a variation in the way electricity is being pushed through, can cause wrong calculations deep within the nano-meter wide silicone semi-conductor.

Watch your volts, your temps, and always stress test. And remember that you should take temperature readings not just from the CPU and RAM, but the entire board to make sure those little regulators and whatnots do not scream, "DO NOT WANT!"

If all of this seems overwhelming, then buy the best you can afford and keep away from overclocking.

Bryan D.

PS - the volt-mod for your 8600 is pure easiness. I've read those cores can reach 1GHz. :)

And consider switching to using Firefox with its built in spell checker. My 5yr old has better grammar

LandShark

Last edited by a moderator:
And consider switching to using Firefox with its built in spell checker. My 5yr old has better grammar

dude....thats juz "CHATTING LANGUAGE". i didnt write dat by mistake. i wrote it on purpose cuz in dat way i can post da message faster!!!!sorry if der wz any inconvinience in reading it.....

We cannot give you a complete answer as to why the overclock causes graphical anomalies, as there too many factors to take into account. Issues ranging from electrical gates, line degredation, EMI leakage, failing mosfets, voltage ripples, ETC. all come into play when we take the frequencies outside the designated tolerances. Any chance there is a variation in the way electricity is being pushed through, can cause wrong calculations deep within the nano-meter wide silicone semi-conductor.

Watch your volts, your temps, and always stress test. And remember that you should take temperature readings not just from the CPU and RAM, but the entire board to make sure those little regulators and whatnots do not scream, "DO NOT WANT!"

If all of this seems overwhelming, then buy the best you can afford and keep away from overclocking.

Bryan D.

PS - the volt-mod for your 8600 is pure easiness. I've read those cores can reach 1GHz. :)

thnx dude....u cleared a great part of my doubt (75%)!!!!!

dude....thats juz "CHATTING LANGUAGE". i didnt write dat by mistake. i wrote it on purpose cuz in dat way i can post da message faster!!!!sorry if der wz any inconvinience in reading it.....

So your saving 1-2 seconds in typing time and making your text harder to read. Not sure if you realize it, but many people tend to ignore text wrote like that as IMO its completely senseless. Using short hand like imo, atm, wtf and so on is 'chatting language'. What you are typing is gibberish.

@ smokie mcpott, I would consider your post is on the rude side and absolutely uncalled for!! consider this as a verbal warning! next time around, you'll be on your way for some vacation time!!

@ Dragster93, please reconsider the way you type. typo, misspelling, bad grammar, it's all fine (hey, I can't spell non have perfect english!), plus this is a international forum, not every members have perfect english. however, when you are posting, please do consider how easy to read/understand from others!! other members come read your thread is trying to help, and making those members harder to read/understand your question/problem is just making them harder to help you! plus this is a forum, not a chat room, just slow down a bit for others might also be a good thing for yourself too!

LandShark
Super Moderator

The best way to describe artifacts is with a analogy. Imagine working on writing a paper. You start writing at a pace that you are comfortable writing at (stock gpu). Now lets say someone asks for you to write a little faster(slight to moderate overclock), that's fine while it puts a little more stress on you you can handle it. Now let's say that same person wants you to write a page in under 30 seconds (extreme overclock) while you can do it, it won't look as nice (artifacts) your going to get hot (overheating) you are going to get hungry faster (Power consumption) and your going to burn out quicker (dead card). There are many factors when it comes to the cause of artifacting. It can be a lack of voltage or overheating, but in the end artifacts are something that you want to avoid as much as possible

I hope this helped.

Back