• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some info on O/cing a 939 cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arkan

I've got a revision DH-E6 venice core cpu that I've had for a few years now. My previous motherboard wasn't overclockable (no pci locks, lack of accurate voltage supply, poor htt capability) so I never bothered overclocking it. Now that I replaced the motherboard with one having better potential I'm curious what I can get out of it. It's a single core 3800+. What I'm basically curious about is what sort of voltage/mhz scaling I can look forward to so I can start off in the right ballpark before dialing it in. Any personal experiences/info would be greatly appreciated.

The Venice cores aren't too bad and usually turn in a better OC than there X2 cousins. But I'd still start at ~2640 (220x12) and go up from there. After you get the CPU top end I'd go back and see if you can run the RAM at a higher speed using the 11X multiplier. Do you happen to know the stepping (second line of text on the IHS)?

Always good to see other people OCing an s939 ... :)

The s939 is a lot of fun to play with. You can continuously try and try again to find a the highest speed, and never heart a thing.

If I remeber correctly...when I was running my 3200 vinny...

Specs:
8RDA+
G. SKill (cant remember which speed)
9800 Pro (older members will remember that card :drool:)

I was able to run at 2.5 daily and 2.7 - 2.8 benchable on air...with todays better heatsinks...you should be able to get 200Mhz or so more...

My 3200 was a 500FSB CPU...but memory at the time was the limiting factor...this should also be fairly achiveable with todays memory as long as the CPU can handle it...and if it can...believe me it will love as much FSB as you can give it :D

Thanks for the replies. I had fun overclocking the clawhammer 939 core I used to have back in the day but never got to play with this venice because of a bad motherboard decision. But with the economy in the crapper I suddenly have a lot more time to play with it and it was too difficult to resist the urge to see what it can do. Any recommendations on max safe voltage for overclocking it on air? Have an artic freezer pro with a delta strapped to the side of it :santa:

If i do end up getting it close to 3 Ghz I'm going to kick myself in the arse for how much I paid for the FX chip in my sig lol.

Depending on your temps you can go as high as you want to. At 1.5v you should start watching your mosfets. Make sure that they don't start popping :D

9800 Pro (older members will remember that card)
Up until the 7series of Nvida. 9800 pro was the very best card around. It was made by the Gods.

Back