• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A little help with my network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smash

Registered
I need a little help on my network. My network consists of my wife's comp and mine. Hers is the comp to connected to the internet(dialup:( :( ). I have recently gotten a free computer.
What I Would like to do is use the free comp as my internet connecting comp, as well as being able to use dhcp. Right now the network is using static ip.
I use winproxy as my proxy software. The big help i need is with
being able to use dhcp for internet with proxy software as well as
sharing drives and printers.I have been able to set up dhcp in the past for internet, But not been able to get drives to share with dhcp? Make sense so for??
So basically what I want to do is setup my free comp as my internet sever ,use dhcp and still be able to share printers, files and drives among the three computers.
one last question- should i put virus scanner software on my internet server

Soo no help yet? What I am asking is how do I setup a computer to be an internet server or router. I will be using win2k.
As stated before I have not had any luck setting up dhcp for my internet, and still be able to share drives (wether hard drives, zip or cds) and my printer.
So the BIG question is how do I setup Internet connection sharing and share files, drives and printers with dhcp.:confused:
I like to use winproxy as my ics software.
Any thoughts? Questions? Answers. please respond. :)

I'm not sure if this works on win2k pro, but I know win2k server you need to go into "routing an remote access", simply right click on your computer in there and go to "enable and configure" I can't remember what the wizard looks like, but it's pretty self explanitory.

As for dhcp, if it isn't in the administrator tools then you have to install it under add windows components, and networking.

File and print sharing is the same as any other situation.

I haven't used dialup in years, but I think it should be mostly the same. You do realize you don't need a proxy server to do this?

You can setup the freebie as a connection server. You didn't mention a hub so your going to need 2 NICs in that thing to share your dialup.

You didn't mention what operating system you plan on using on the server. If your using 9x, nt workstation, ME, XP, or 2000 Pro, you aren't going to be able to DHCP squat. You're going to need 2000 server or NT server or a 3rd party DHCP server software. If WinProxy does this for you then your golden.

one last question- should i put virus scanner software on my internet server

Of course!

I had planned on using win2k pro. Winproxy works on a dhcp setup but does not setup dhcp. Yes, I do have a hub.
The last question about antivirus is tricky for me because of the fact that as of right now with my wifes computer acting as a connection server I cannot get my e-mail. for the whole story look here http://forums.overclockers.ws/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58643 .
Any help on all questions is appreciated

hmm, maybe i read this wrong, but you have a static ip for dialup.. geez, thats a new one.
umm
you should have no reason to use dhcp in this situation, other than switchin computers arround. I suggest using static, why not, umm to do this have the internet going into your server computer, and out going to a hub. Set everything to sharing pritners, files. And on your other 2 comptuers, hook them to your hub. and (well you might be able to get away with dhcp on this). Set up your internet properties to dhcp. Yea the more i think about this the more i'd say dynamic will work

try that!:rolleyes:

oh ****, on your server computer, set up a protocol for ipx/spx and you might have to setup another tcp/ip protocol also. That is where the static ips will come to play. but like i said dynamic may work!

Back