• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS electrical safety question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Huserx

Hey All,

I have an older power supply with a passive intake and rear exhaust fan probably 60mm maybe 80mm it's pretty noisy.

I was thinking about opening it up removing the small fan cutting the passive intake open with a hole saw and adding a larger fan i.e 92mm - 120mm and using the internal power if its a connector and not a solder.. or using power from one of the rails..

For an active intake and passive exhaust..

The question is regarding the PS being discharged or whatever before I go opening it up is there any timeline for that or is simpyl being unplugged good enough?

Huserx

"Discharge the power supply by either letting it sit unconnected for a few days, or by attaching a 10 ohm resistor between a black and red wire (from the power cables on the output side). Using a resistor will only take a few seconds to fully discharge the power supply."
http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply

Make sure to have enough area for the air to discharge. Do put a screen over the hole left by the missing 60mm-80mm fan for safety.

Back