• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to do Thermal Paste?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

velocity229

I've ordered an i7 920 Processor. The cooler already has paste applied to it, which i believes smudges onto the processor once it is mounted.

My question is: Does this mean I don't have to add any extra Thermal Paste?

If I wanted to add thermal paste, how do I know precisely how much? I don't want to under-do or over-do it.

Thanks.

Yes, since the Intel HSF comes w/ thermal paste already applied, there's no need for you to apply any additional paste.

When applying new thermal paste, just put a BB sized bead at the center of the CPU. Once you mount the heatsink it should spread the paste fairly even across the CPU.

To remove any paste just use some alcohol (isopropyl, acetone, or even a vodka :p) and a cotton swab. That should get all the gunk off the heatsink and processor.

When applying new thermal paste, just put a BB sized bead at the center of the CPU. Once you mount the heatsink it should spread the paste fairly even across the CPU.

To remove any paste just use some alcohol (isopropyl, acetone, or even a vodka :p) and a cotton swab. That should get all the gunk off the heatsink and processor.

In addition to this, you can also squeeze your finger in a little plastic bag and smear it evenly over the surface of the CPU to ensure coverage.

spreading it over the CPU is I believe not the best way of doing it as it often creates small pockets of air that expand when they get hot. so you end up with a less than satisfactory result.
Different TIM's recommend what works best for them, this is often the best way to go.

Back