• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to play BluRay on my rig, what's needed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
HDCP compliant video card & monitor or TV and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray capable software, usually cyberlink or nero showtime. I have both and nearly always prefer nero, though most people seem to prefer cyberlink.

HDCP compliant video card & monitor or TV and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray capable software, usually cyberlink or nero showtime. I have both and nearly always prefer nero, though most people seem to prefer cyberlink.

Hardware decoding on the video card would also be preffered. Take a look at this thread.

ATi cards 3 series or higher
NVIDIA cards 8 series or higher

i recall

nvidia's last drivers and ati next cat 8.12 add betetr support for offloading to less supported cards

my 7600GT now does some work it seems while watching HD content which it didnt do before.

According to MSI it is as such:

With VIDEOSHADER HD, the RX800 XT Platinum Edition takes advantage of its advanced shader processing engine for user programmable video effects, video quality enhancement, and encoding and decoding of many video standards, including MPEG1/2/4, Real Media, DivX and WMV9.

No mention of H.264 or VC-1. Give it a whirl though. Ya know I didn't see any mention of HDCP compliance (real or imagined) on that spec sheet either. Things aren't looking good for the old X800.

This is what I found on MSI's website

DISPLAY FEATURES

• Dual integrated display controllers
• Dual integrated 10 bit per channel 400 MHz DACs Integrated
• 165MHz TMDS transmitter (DVI 1.0 / HDMI compliant and HDCP ready)
• Integrated TV Output support up to 1024x768 resolution
• YPrPb component output for direct drive of HDTV displays

The full list of specs can be found here

Your operating system is really in question here. If you have XP search for threads started by me in the storage section. If you have Vista you basically need nothing.

I don't have any HDMI and I don't even really know what HDCP is. I've just been running DVI cables to my monitors and it's worked fine.

I used Nero, Cyberlink and WinDVD. Honestly I don't really love any of them but for Blu-Ray I use Cyberlink and for regular DVD WinDVD is just so much better it's insane. Cyberlink's UI with regards to DVD is just terrible.

Nero is just murderous on your PC. Granted I was running an Opteron 146 then, opposed to a quad core now, it was really, really, REALLY taxing on the computer. Also, it's a hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeee program.

For starters, HDMI is essentially DVI with audio. HDCP or High-bandwith Digital Copyright Protection is a specification usually required by both the video card and display. Some HD media will default to standard definition if both components do not support the spec.

I personally use Cyberlink PowerDVD, its a pretty nice player, and works well with my hardware and Blu-ray discs.

Your operating system is really in question here. If you have XP search for threads started by me in the storage section. If you have Vista you basically need nothing.

I don't have any HDMI and I don't even really know what HDCP is. I've just been running DVI cables to my monitors and it's worked fine.

I used Nero, Cyberlink and WinDVD. Honestly I don't really love any of them but for Blu-Ray I use Cyberlink and for regular DVD WinDVD is just so much better it's insane. Cyberlink's UI with regards to DVD is just terrible.

Nero is just murderous on your PC. Granted I was running an Opteron 146 then, opposed to a quad core now, it was really, really, REALLY taxing on the computer. Also, it's a hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeee program.
I have Vista Home Premium. Sweet @ you basically need nothing. Except of course the BluRay drive, putting that on my list to Santa as we speak.

For starters, HDMI is essentially DVI with audio. HDCP or High-bandwith Digital Copyright Protection is a specification usually required by both the video card and display. Some HD media will default to standard definition if both components do not support the spec.

I personally use Cyberlink PowerDVD, its a pretty nice player, and works well with my hardware and Blu-ray discs.

Okay. Everyone says it's HDMI with audio, what does that mean? Let's talk about both of my audio setups.

A is I run my headphones directly out of the back of my motherboard.

B is I run an audio cable out of the back of my motherboard that splits in to a L and R channel. I hook that up to my 2 channel receiver which then goes to my speakers.

Where does HDMI come in to play in either of those lines? soooo confusing.

So HDCP is only necessary for *some* things? Does it say on the disc or jacket HDCP required or anything? Thanks for helping, I'm learning more. :)

Okay. Everyone says it's HDMI with audio, what does that mean? Let's talk about both of my audio setups.

A is I run my headphones directly out of the back of my motherboard.

B is I run an audio cable out of the back of my motherboard that splits in to a L and R channel. I hook that up to my 2 channel receiver which then goes to my speakers.

Where does HDMI come in to play in either of those lines? soooo confusing.

So HDCP is only necessary for *some* things? Does it say on the disc or jacket HDCP required or anything? Thanks for helping, I'm learning more. :)
No, they say it's DVI w/audio. DVI is digital video signal only, with a DVI cable you have to run a separate audio signal cable. HDMI is digital video and audio signals in one. HDMI has no role in either of your setups as you don't run headphones or speakers via HDMI. Generally, HDMI is used when there's audio and video signals being sent from one source to another or to a display.

Back