• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best x264 encoder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mattgmann

I'm putting this here, since it has to do with my htpc setup. But please move it to the software section if that is more appropriate.

Anyway, like I said, I'm looking for a good x264 encoder, so I can move all of my DVDs and Blu Rays to my htpc/media server. I don't need a million options. As long as it can rip discs with copy protection, encode in the highest of quality, and is multi threaded. A batch or que feature would be nice also, so I could copy all of my dvds to a drive, and set it on it's way encoding.

Thanks

I use tmpgenc 4.0 and it works fairly well. However if you want to be able to rip Blu-ray disks that are copy protected you will need another software. I don't know of one that does this all in one step. Hopefully someone does though!

x264 is only one open source version of h264. There are alot of h264 encoders, though I can't speak to their quality as I am happy with x264. There are many programs that automate the process of encoding but as far as I know they all need separte programs to rip copyrighted media. MainConcept is the h264 encoder I hear of most other than x264 but you have to buy it.

I currently use dvdfab to rip, and MeGUI as my encoding program with x264 encoder. I have been very happy with its output. I can't speak as to whether or not dvdfab can rip blueray as I haven't jumped on that band wagon yet.

Well, for now I've settled with ripping everything with DVD Fab, then using HandBrake to encode. I'm going to start the long process of ripping all of my movies to a hard drive, and when that's done I'll que them all to be encoded in handbrake for one super long cpu stressing marathon. Guess my OC will get a real test. I'm going to do all of the ripping/encoding on my gaming rig, since it has a quad core. I haven't tried ripping any blu rays yet since the BD drive is on my htpc.

It looks like ATI is releaseing a gpu based encoder in their next driver update; hopefully it works well and will take advantage of multiple gpus. I'm gonna try and find some more info about it. It might be worth waiting to encode all of this stuff until that comes out.

Yeah, I was thinking about selling my 4850's last month till they stated that they were going to release an encoder for free!

Dvd fab rips blurays? Looking over their site doe not mention anything about that.

Went MeGUI after Handbrake utterly failed on either mixing the sound in (if trying to insert into .m4v) or royally screwing up the .mkv container (was impossible to seek without massive CPU usage - ie 4 minute jump took 15 seconds of processing, a 25 minute jump took 90s of processing)

I haven't even tried messing with blu rays yet. My only BD drive is on my htpc, and I've been using my main computer for encoding.

I'm not entirely happy with DVD Fab. The quality of the rips doesn't seem great compared to the original. I might hold off until I find a better program for ripping.

Handbrake is working ok. I've been encoding everything to .mkv files via h.264 encoding. I'm trying to find a happy medium over file size vs quality though. The highest quality setting takes hours to encode, and is no smaller than the dvd rip itself. I think I'll give MeGUI a run, and see how it goes.

Back