• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 wont go past 3.0 GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JOHNNY_NOOB

Registered
Hi I am new to the forums and Overclocking as well and I have a Q6600 g0 on a Gigabyte EP35-DS3L motherboard with an Arctic freezer pro 92mm aftermarkt HS. its OC'd to 3.0 GHz since I bought it last summer and just today I decided to try to overclock it higher to about 3.5-3.6 GHz. The highest I can get it in order for it to boot into windows is 3.24 GHz but after 1-2min on prime95 I get the BSOD and the board just resets itself with the coretemps in the low to mid 50's. I ran it for about an hour on prime95 at 3.0 and got no errors with temps in the upper 50's. I also tried increasing voltages to 1.45v @ 3.5 GHz and the system would POST but would freeze up right before windows tried booting up and tried 1.40v @ 3.3 and would BSOD 1-2min into Prime95.

System specs:
Q6600 G0 stable at 3.0GHz stock voltage w/ aftermarket HSF
2x2GB G-SKILL PC2-6400
Gigabyte EP35-DS3L mobo
XFX 8800GT
rosewill 600W PSU

Will increasing CPU voltages give more system stability but as a drawback produce more heat?

Voltage will always increase heat, You will be very lucky to get a q6600 past 3.4Ghz, if it's not at it's max already.

Post all of your current BIOS settings at 3.0 GHz using this template, including the VID of your chip using CoreTemp or RealTemp to read it...

Code:
Robust Graphics Booster:
CPU Clock Ratio: 
CPU Host Clock Control:
CPU Host Frequency (MHz): 
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz):
C.I.A. 2:
System Memory Multiplier (SPD):
DRAM Timing Selectable:
Performance Enhance:

CAS Latency Time:
Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay:
Dram RAS# Precharge Delay:
Precharge Delay (tRAS):
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD):
Rank Write to READ Delay:
Write to Precharge Delay:
Refresh to ACT Delay:
Read to Precharge Delay:
Static tRead Value:
Static tRead Phase Adjust:

System Voltage Control:
DDR2 OverVoltage Control: 
PCI-E OverVoltage Control: 
FSB OverVoltage Control: 
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control: 
CPU Voltage Control:

That motherboard has very high vdrop, and vdroop. At load, your vcore is probably ~.09v less than in the bios. 3.5ghz may require 1.4v under load to run well with a q6600, so you may need to set your vcore in bios near 1.5v. My q6600 needs 1.44v under load to run 3.6ghz stably. For 3.6ghz on your cpu, you may have to run as high as 1.55v in the bios.

I don't remember what other settings that bios offers, but that cpu also responds well to high cpu pll voltage. Like 1.7v+.

Robust Graphics Booster: Auto
CPU Clock Ratio: 9x
CPU Host Clock Control: Enabled
CPU Host Frequency (MHz): 333
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz): Auto
C.I.A. 2: Disabled
System Memory Multiplier (SPD): Auto
DRAM Timing Selectable: Auto
Performance Enhance: Turbo

CAS Latency Time: 5 , Auto
Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4, Auto
Dram RAS# Precharge Delay: 4, Auto
Precharge Delay (tRAS): Auto
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD): Auto
Rank Write to READ Delay: Auto
Write to Precharge Delay: Auto
Refresh to ACT Delay: Auto
Read to Precharge Delay: Auto
Static tRead Value: Auto
Static tRead Phase Adjust: Auto

System Voltage Control: Manual
DDR2 OverVoltage Control: Normal
PCI-E OverVoltage Control: Normal
FSB OverVoltage Control: Normal
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control: Normal
CPU Voltage Control: Normal

1.32500V

Change performance enhance: turbo to standard

Aside from raising the cpu voltage, upping the (g)mch a notch or two will help

ok I tried 390 x 9 for 3.51 GHz with standard instead of turbo at 1.500v. system POSTed and was about to load up windows XP when I got BSOD. I checked PC health status in BIOS afterward and it listed the Vcore at 1.300v which I think means that it is not holding the voltages I put into the system? also when I got it to boot into windows at 3.24 GHz before I got BSOD I looked in CPU-z and it said the CPU vcore was 1.28v when I had set it at 1.350. this might not mean anything but im new to this. what do you guys think?

You're trying for too much of an increase in clock speed at one time (from 3.0 - 3.5 GHz). Work your way up in small increments from your current stable 3.0 GHz clock, and run Prime after each successful boot into Windows. If you haven't already, you should read the sticky at the top of this forum...

HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.7
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

The voltage difference is called vDrop. You set the voltage in bios at 1.35, and it will run at 1.28v. Under load, that number will probably drop to 1.26v or so. That difference is called vdroop. So calculate that you'll need ~.09v more set in your bios than what will actually register in your system.

If your bios is not holding the voltages, reset the cmos. I had problems with that on both p35 ds3l mobos I had.

Just noticed also that your "system memory multiplier" is set to auto. This is more than likely overclocking your RAM, and probably what's holding you back. Set it up for a 1:1 ratio. i.e. if your FSB is 390mhz, the system muliplier should run the RAM at 780mhz. I believe the setting on the mobo will be 2.0.

So your telling me to set the ram multiplier to 2.0 so it overclocks my RAM? how would this affect system stability?

No, it will not overclock your RAM. When set to auto, that mobo will overclock your ram if you raise the stock FSB.

Set it to 2.0 to cure this. It's probably trying to run your RAM at 975 or 1170mhz with 390fsb. Setting it to 2.0 will bring it back to 780mhz, which is withing spec of your RAM.

If it makes it for 30min is that good? last time I didnt even get it to last for 30 seconds lol

WOW I just changed the PCI bus from auto to 100MHz and my system booted into windows @ 3.33GHz with no errors. im gonna try moar GHz

Back