• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Things I don't know

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kelln

I've been overclocking since the days of 333 Celerons, but I haven't kept up recently and there are some things I just can't figure out. For some odd reason, none of the articles I read answer these questions.

Some background on my current project first though: I just picked up some E8500 ($173 total cost) and some corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 (9-9-9-24) ($145 total cost). I also picked up some Antec P180 cases for $55 or so. The idea is to build 2 systems (1 for myself, 1 for a friend) and overclock them, with a 4GHz goal.

Now the things I don't understand. The E8500s have a list FSB of 1333 MHz. However, for some bizarre reason people tend to pair DDR2-800 with these chips. WTF? Is this a case of 1333 / 4 (dual channel, dual data rate) = 333, * 1.2 (overclock) = 400 * 2 (DDR) = 800? Obviously confusing. I assumed that the E8500 with a list FSB of 1333, overclocked to FSB 1600 would hit 4 GHz, hence why I bought 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM. Am I wasting money on the DDR3?

One other thing, the CPUs I got from Fry's are open box returns, which Fry's forgot to ever mention. When I asked the cashier, he said they open the box to ensure that the correct CPU is inside (...). I bought it anyways, but I feel like I should just return it and get a new chip. They're E0 steppings made last summer, but I figure people returned them for a reason. Thoughts?

Thanks for any help/advice!

Am I wasting money on the DDR3?
Yes and No.

Yes because a set of good DDR2-800 could have done the job just fine with almost no performance hit at a much lower price.

No because there is a few percent advantage in some cases + you already got some very nice RAM for the day you upgrade to Nehalem.

By the way, you will need FSB of around 1685 (421Mhz) to get to 4GHz. Shouldnt be a problem to OC your RAM that much.

Thanks! Could you explain how the MHz numbers on DDR2 / DDR3 RAM match up with CPU FSB numbers? I really don't get it.

The FSB is quadpumped or quad data rate and RAM is dual data rate, 400MHz is 1600 effective for the FSB and 800 for the RAM when using a 1:1 ratio. The max FSB to RAM ratio is 1:2, RAM will then run twice as fast as the FSB so both will be at 1600 effective speed.

I see you got dual channel in your formula there. The FSB is 128bits wide and each stick of ram is 64bit, dual channel doesnt affect the frequencies in any way, it just doubles the width to match the FSB width. 1333 / 4 (quad data rate) = 333, * 1.2 (overclock) = 400 * 2 (DDR) = 800

To put it another way:

When you get your system together and go into your BIOS you will see a default FSB of 333Mhz. To get to your desired OC of 4Ghz you will need to only get to 421Mhz. The equals a memory speed of 842Mhz, well under the 1600Mhz your memory is rated at. You run an updivider to take advantage of that bandwidth but the real world difference over DDR2 is pretty minimal.

Thanks, that really helps. I think I'll trade in the DDR3 for some DDR2, and if I do upgrade to Nehalem (as opposed to something 32nm) then I'll just buy DDR3 then for a lot less money.

This is my current plan:
CASE: Antec P180 (older but nice, and the price was right)
RAM: 4GB G Skill DDR2 1066 kit with 5-5-5-15 timings ($20 more than basic 800 MHz RAM, so I can have tight timings)
CPU: E8500 (should overclock well)
PSU: not sure, something quiet
HDD: probably a Seagate 7200.11
GPU: existing AMD 4850
mobo: Not decided yet, probably a P45 ICH10R board with eSATA. The Gigabyte boards look good.

The total cost is about half what I'd pay for a Nehalem system, so I'm happy.

Back