• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is with this chip!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JOHNNY_NOOB

Registered
Seriously, I pump 1.525V through it and it still wont even boot into windows at 3.42 GHz. I have all settings optimized on my GA-P35-DS3L board including +0.1v for RAM, +0.1v for FSB, and +0.1v for MCH. Performance Enhancer is set to STANDARD. Memory multiplier set to 2.0, PCI express freq. set to 100MHz. C.I.A.2 disabled.

WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM??? :bang head

I have sufficient cooling as well and a 600w PSU.

EDIT: I have a Q6600 btw

Welcome to the Forums. :welcome:

I think it would help a bit if you stated what exact chip you are working on tho.

Larry

Download speedfan and see what it says the VCore voltage is, because I don't think that motherboard can actually put out more than 1.4 volts no matter what you set it for. It's good motherboard, just not for extreme overclocking. Doing 3.4ghz from a 2.4ghz cpu is a pretty good overclock as it is.

Last edited:
I think he has the mobo as me... if so it can definetly put out 1.9 volts... OUCH!

You can set 1.9v in the bios maybe, but can it actually physically produce that voltage with stability. My DS3L is limited to 1.35v. Setting it to 1.5v still makes Vcore1=1.35v according to speedfan and cpuz.

Voltage doesn't = stablity all the time...especially with a quad lots of things come into play. Other voltages, FSB wall, what your RAM can do, you have 4 cores and 1 of them can be gimped. My e8400 does 4.5 easy on one core, but the other DEMANDS HIGH VOLTAGE TO BE STABLE.

You can set 1.9v in the bios maybe, but can it actually physically produce that voltage with stability. My DS3L is limited to 1.35v. Setting it to 1.5v still makes Vcore1=1.35v according to speedfan and cpuz.

Ya the vdrop is bad but I did it once and it put 1.8ish on the cpu as per the bios!!! My mobo has a 2.0v setting but i was too scared to try that one.

Ya more voltage doesn't always = stability.

What is your revision and VID? I have a Q6600 as well with a VID of 1.325, and can hit 3.2 easily with a vcore of 1.3625.

Think part of it is to do with the mobo. I loved the heck out of my P35-DS3L. They dont like to seem to clock super high like my Abit IP35 pro does.

Dude +.01 on the ram is only 1.9 volts.

The DS3L is a budget board, and doesn't provide the clean power that you need for higher speeds. A vdroop mod might help.

Axis, your DS3R is a better board w/ more power phases.

Johnny, what is the voltage rating for your RAM. As Hank pointed out you're only giving it 1.9v, and some RAM requires more than that. Also don't be afraid to try up to +0.3 on MCH or FSB. You can't boot at 3.4...what can you boot up at? Start there and work your way up slowly.

Back