• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would it be worth the upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RollerBall

Registered
I'm thinking of upgrading my MCR220 to a thermochill PA 120.2.

I can't go to a 360 rad because my case won't allow it. But I want to reduce my temps and push my O/C a bit more.

I use medium speed yates undervolted @ 7v. Just wondering what kind of temprature drop I could see (roughly) by changing the rad? I might add in the shroud too to drop the temps by a few more *Cs. Thoughts?

I'm thinking of upgrading my MCR220 to a thermochill PA 120.2.

I can't go to a 360 rad because my case won't allow it. But I want to reduce my temps and push my O/C a bit more.

I use medium speed yates undervolted @ 7v. Just wondering what kind of temprature drop I could see (roughly) by changing the rad? I might add in the shroud too to drop the temps by a few more *Cs. Thoughts?

If you think a 2-3C drop in temps for $100+ is worth it, then yes. Personally, i'd throw a fan controller on those yates and adjust to the best temp that won't kill your ears. You could add a 120mm rad to the rear 120mm exhaust fan to gain a little extra cooling. What case do you have and where is your 220 mounted?

Axis

I've got a TT armor and the 220 is mounted at the front. In the drive bays. I've got a fan controller on them, and tbh, 7v is about the loudest I like.

I've got a TT armor and the 220 is mounted at the front. In the drive bays. I've got a fan controller on them, and tbh, 7v is about the loudest I like.

You could easily hang another 220 or a 320 off the back of your case. Personally, i'd go for the second 220 or 320 to run in series with your existing one.

Axis

I don't really want to mount any rads externally, too much noise and I don't have enough space behind my case to mount one.

If you want to spend the money to do that, be my guest, but in opinion it is not worth it. Add another rad or suck it up and use a larger rad because your temps aren't going to increase that much. It's tough when you want quietness and performance without spending an obscene amount of money.

If you crank your fans to max on that MCR220 and still not satisfied with the temps, a PA 120.2 isn't going to help. At least try it.

And you have a older CPU block. Thats your problem. Your pushing your chip pretty hard and it is not able to pull the heat. Newer blocks are more efficient. Replace the CPU block, not the rad. GTX from Swiftech is the latest champ.

If the noise still bothers you you got a choice. Get good temps or put a bigger rad out back. Sooner or later real world physics come into your world no matter what you wish. Reality bites.

Isn't the Fusion V2 + nozzle kit better than the GTZ?

Depends on what parameters you use. The V2 is VERY RESTRICTIVE, where as the GTZ is not. This makes the GTZ better in a multi block configuration. As far as cooling goes, there's not more than a degree or two between the top contenders. The overall champ is the EK Supreme.

Axis

The V2 with nozzle kit costs more than the GTZ, and I believe they are pretty much equivalent. I don't think the V2 is that much more restrictive than the GTZ, and definitely not more than the Supreme.

The V2 with nozzle kit costs more than the GTZ, and I believe they are pretty much equivalent. I don't think the V2 is that much more restrictive than the GTZ, and definitely not more than the Supreme.

You are correct. I was going off of memory but after going back to Martins, It appears as though they are almost identical in terms of performance. I can't find the EK temp numbers but i've read in some posts that it's the overall performance leader and it's higher restriction is part of the reason.

Axis

Depends on what parameters you use. The V2 is VERY RESTRICTIVE, where as the GTZ is not. This makes the GTZ better in a multi block configuration. As far as cooling goes, there's not more than a degree or two between the top contenders. The overall champ is the EK Supreme.

Axis

Stock v2 is less restrictive than GTZ. Agreed on temp performance.

http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/Swiftech_Apogee_GTZ_Review.html

Read somewhere in the middle of the page, above thermal testing.

Flow Rate and Restriction

I normally do pressure drop testing, but I just havn't finished that piece yet because I'm still doing thermal testing on other blocks that are using my flow meter. I did however measure the actual flow rate I was getting from the block which gives you at least a relative measure of restriction. This was measuring using my King Instruments Flow rate meter in the actual loop I've been doing all of my waterblock testing. This includes an XSPC Reservoir Top on a DDC3.2 pump, a TFC 480ER radiator, and several lengths of tubing, along with some open valves and my flow meter.

Swiftech-GTZ-FlowRate.png

The results are good, the Fuzion V2 is probably more of an average restriction block and so is the GTZ, there are several other blocks with much higher restriction than this. In addition these flow rates are much higher than your typical >1GPM rule of thumb so the selected pump still has alot of reserve pumping power for additional blocks in this loop. I wouldn't hesitate to run the GTZ along with your other favorite GPU or chipset blocks. There have been some purposeful design tweaks in the nozzle present to minimize the amount of pressure drop of this block, and it's definately paying off here with the average restriction

I'm thinking of adding the 120.2 parralel to the MCR220.

So it'll go

Rad|Fan|Rad

What kind of performance gain will I get? I'm hoping to still keep my medium yates @7v.

I'm not a watercooling expert, but shouldn't the rads be seperate so that it gets cool airflow and not pull warm air from rad 1 to rad 2?

I'm not a watercooling expert, but shouldn't the rads be seperate so that it gets cool airflow and not pull warm air from rad 1 to rad 2?

A lot of rad setups pull warm case air into the rad. So I don't see why it would make a massive difference if I mounted the Rad in a sandwich.

if you feel the exhaust air from your rad you will feel the difference between that air andthe air from a different fan
with the right mounting you probably will get a tiny tad of gain but you still is running hot air into your second rad and have a solid performance loss
sorry to tell you but sandwiched rads isn't a very good idea performaceways

Hmm, well over on Xtreme systems 2xthin rads + 2 fans vs one 120.2 + 2 fans showed a drop of 3*C.

I can't find any tests on two decent, thick rads though.

Back