• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i need decent webcams

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

alright first off lemme say i am really not in the mood for the innuendo.

i need a decent webcam thats going to have a decent sized picture that isnt all grainy and has a decent frame rate (15 is not decent) and the fact that i DONT have to be on the surface of the sun for it to work properly. preferably for a laptop but doesent have to be its an added bonus same with zoom and autofocus and that sort of thing. only thing is i cant break the bank with a web came because i need to buy 2 of them and the economy the way it is and my "emplyment" situation....yea. i dont mind dropping some coin if its going to have super high quality.

i have no issue buying refurbs or oem or off-brand or any thing as long as they have some sort of warranty for atleast a few days to check and see if they work and they fit the bill above.
theres a ton at overstock:http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Webcams/Logitech,/brand,/946/subcat.html
but how man of them are any good or worth the price, doesent have to be but they seem to be the best place for prices so far

heres a little back story, i have bought webcams before and they all suck ***, even after lookin at the specs theyre all grainy picture quality poor frame rate piles of crap that you have to be on the face of the sun for it to work right. now that my girlfriend has moved to texas (ugh texas i am dereading living there) our cell phone bills are gonna be sky high before we know it and you cant see some one on a phone so it will be an added bonus, we both have decent internet and decent computers and laptops so were set on the other end. were both kind freakin out not having seen each other for a month after seeing each other almost every day for the past 2 years.

also if you have one and you could take a picrure of something or a small clip or something with it that would be cool too so we could see the real world quality of them because we all know they lie about the quality

I wouldn't trust any electronics from that site, had nothing but problems with every item I've ordered from them (hence me not buying anymore :p).

I can't help much as I don't even own one, but I know Logitech has made some pretty good ones. Might be a place to start.

Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000. The Vision is $30 more and has less features. I do not understand why.

Here's a sample picture and video I just made for this thread. I'd describe the lighting in this room as slightly dark. Maybe very slightly dark.

url=http://www.hostpokervideos.com/Video 8.wmv

url=http://www.hostpokervideos.com/picture 130.jpg

:thup: I haven't used the Pro 9000 but I just bought a Quickcam Vision Pro at work to use with WebEx (and because it's one of the few webcams I could find that is directly supported in OS X). The difference in quality compared to my old Creative LiveCam Voice is significant. The image looks crisper and the colors look more vibrant on the Logitech webcam. No doubt due in part to the Carl Zeiss lens, which the Pro 9000 also has.

ok i am stuck on 2.

the quickcam communicate MP
max video res 1280x960
and

the Microsoft Livecam VX-6000
specs
max video res 1280x1024

i can get them both at the same price, i figure i get something with a "HD" capture ability and then wen you get back to real world res the picture is going to look and move better. catch my drift, so probally 800x600 it one step below that (720 something) should look pretty good and move pretty good.

she has a 2.4Ghz toshiba laptop with XP, thankfully i installed SP2 on it but it beats the minimums atleast. i'll probally use it on both my PC in sig and my laptop which is a newer 45nm core 2 duo 2ghz with centreno 2 and 4 gigs o ram

i can get both for about the same price so thats not an issue, i am really just concerned with the quality

the MS one shows features like zoom and pan but i am sure that is something taken care of with the software but it has a manual focus and the other one does not

alright i hate to double post but i am changing it up. i also forgot to mension i would like to get one of the ones you guys said about above (and even submitted tests which si cool, thanks) but they are way spendy for me because i have to buy 2 of them. i dont have $240 to drop on webcams.

any way i am changing it up.

keeping the Lifecam VX-6000 from above but comparing it to the Quickcam Deluxe theyre both close in specs but this logitech doesent have a fixed focus and the MP does so i figured why not.

only problem is there isnt any review i can find on the logitech but i can find one on the microsoft one here and it looks pretty good. theres a 1280x1024 video that looks really good and sounds ok but the guy is in his garage with the door open but i can always get a brighter light bulb

Back