• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp vs. mp on dual mobo...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dropadrop

Hi!

Has anyone experienced problems running xp-processors on a dual mobo? I'm concidering getting a dual mobo soon, and would like to save where possible!

There was some talk of that going on around here a few weeks ago. From what I remember, there was limited success, but some got it to work. just do a search and you'll probably find the threads.

The XP chips are the same exact hardware as the MP ones

MP ones are just tested for multi-processor configurations and labled MP if they work

Mambo said:
The XP chips are the same exact hardware as the MP ones

MP ones are just tested for multi-processor configurations and labled MP if they work

This not technically true. If you look at the L1 bridges on the XP and MP, they look different. At the moment there is some debate as to if the processors are identical in all aspects, even though they perform identically in benchmarks. AMD have as yet made no comments.

People have had sucess running XP's instead of MP's. The only thing I can say about this is;

Its possible that later bios revisions will stop the use of XP's in SMP mode. Also there is no guarentee that the XP's will work and if you shell out all that money for two, you may find it hard to take back fully working chips, if they don't work.

Are you sure you want a dual system?

Daniel

yup

I'm sure I want a dual-system. All the software I use supports dual processors, and I'm on the brink of running out of power allready with my new setup! Right now it's just on concideration stage, and I'm trying to do a bit of research before doshing in the cash. I'm concidering the new epox mobo coming out soon, and I would allready have a friend willing to buy my current mobo /processor for allmost the price I payed for it. I think that if the mobo is cheap enough, and u really have use for it, the diferance in price (100$ for the mobo, and 1 spare processor) is actually the cheapest way to get more power!

Back