• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about evga GTX 280

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dim1014

Hey guys, I'm in the process of starting to build my first computer and I really don't have much experience with the newest technology. I bought an EVGA GTX 280 FTW edition, but I bought an EVGA replacement version, meaning it came in a plain white box with no accessories/manual to speak of so I'm not sure what to do.

Am I missing anything that I'd need to run this card? Other than connecting this card through PCI Express, will I need some sort of cable(s)? Thanks!

edit: okay it looks like I'm missing a power cable. Can anyone direct me to what exactly I need to buy?

Also, am I going to be able to plug my DVI-D cable into the DVI-I port? I don't need any sort of adapter for that right? thanks again!

Last edited:
which power supply do you have? is it sufficient to handle that card? if it is, then you dont need to buy any power adapters/cables. you should have no problems using the dvi-d cable.

you need 1x6-pin and 1x8-pin connector coming from your supply for the card to work.
http://www.evga.com/PRODUCTS/enlarge.asp?PN=01G-P3-1286-AR&I=2

edit: im not quite sure on the differences between DVI-I and DVI-D so someone else might be able to answer that.

I have a BFG ES-800, i was told it could handle 2x 280's. do I need to buy anything?

Nope looking at the specs of that unit, you should have the connectors you need. Plug and play. :)

edit: Yes you should be able to plug the DVI-D into the DVI-I according Wikipedia.

"DVI-I" stands for "DVI-Integrated" and supports both digital and analog transfers, so it works with both digital and analog Visual Display Unit. "DVI-D" stands for "DVI-Digital" and supports digital transfers only.

Back