• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

as i increase my q6600's mhz..my ram automatically increases mhz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antipesto93

i have a ga-p35-ds3p and in the bios, as i increase my q6600 mhz... my ram also increases
as a result when i have 3.2 ghzz the ram goes to 900mhz..ish.....and my copmuter works
but when i go to 3.4ghz...my ram goes to (around) 1000mhz....and then i cant post cos ram cant handle 1000mhz.....soz if i havent explained correctly :)

any explanatios would help :)

Thats how it works. Change the RAM:FSB ratio to 1:1 and the RAM won't go up so fast. (the corresponding setting should be 2.0 in your BIOS)

um

yeah...umm there is not setting in ga-p35-ds3p about ratio or anything...what other names are there for fsb:1:1 ??

You're correct! Your RAM operates at a ratio to your CPU speed. By default, memory will run 1:1. For example, your FSB is 266mhz (quad pumped to 1066), so 1:1 would be 533mhz memory speed. As you raise your fsb to, say 300mhz, your ram will be running at 600mhz. Your ram is rated to run at 900mhz, so if you go beyond that by much you'll likely have to start increasing ram voltage and cooling. Its best to find the max cpu speed first, then find the max oc of your ram, as CPU speed has a far greater impact on performance.
So when you get close to 900 what you can do is change the ratio from 1:1 to 4:5, or 3:2, etc. The memory will operate slower, but you'll be able to continue cranking the fsb. There will be an option in BIOS to adjust the memory 'divider'/ 'speed' independent of the cpu speed.
Post back with questions, thats what we're here for.

Yes, thats because the FSB is linked to the ram.

I'll use my 'ol P4 as an example:

STOCK - ram = 200mhz(400mhz in dual channel mode), FSB (Which is "quad pumped", basically it is 4 times faster than the ram speed) = 800(200 actual speed), CPU (The actual, non quad pumped FSB speed times what ever the multiplier is, in my case 15) = 3000 mhz or 3.0ghz

so if I increase my actual FSB to 210...

RAM = 210(420 dual channel), FSB = 840(210 actual), CPU = = 3150 or 3.15ghz.

The q6600 works the same way, just a heck of a lot faster.

Also, I beleive you can change the divider on the ram nowadays, or somthing like that. All of that should be explained in the how to overclock sticky. You should check it out, its a good read.

EDIT: someone beat me to the punch. Thats what I get for taking a year and a half to post. :|

ok..

oo ok i get it :)
BUT BUT
on my ga-p35-ds3p there is no option to change it from 1:1 to something else?
where would it be in the bios?

jason already answered:

Thats how it works. Change the RAM:FSB ratio to 1:1 and the RAM won't go up so fast. (the corresponding setting should be 2.0 in your BIOS)

It is called 'system memory multiplier' (probably, check your mobo manual to make sure) and will be in the Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker or M.I.T. page which you may need to press ctrl+F1 in BIOS to access.

You're correct! Your RAM operates at a ratio to your CPU speed. By default, memory will run 1:1. For example, your FSB is 266mhz (quad pumped to 1066), so 1:1 would be 533mhz memory speed. As you raise your fsb to, say 300mhz, your ram will be running at 600mhz. Your ram is rated to run at 900mhz, so if you go beyond that by much you'll likely have to start increasing ram voltage and cooling. Its best to find the max cpu speed first, then find the max oc of your ram, as CPU speed has a far greater impact on performance.
So when you get close to 900 what you can do is change the ratio from 1:1 to 4:5, or 3:2, etc. The memory will operate slower, but you'll be able to continue cranking the fsb. There will be an option in BIOS to adjust the memory 'divider'/ 'speed' independent of the cpu speed.
Post back with questions, thats what we're here for.

You've got it backwards buddy. Changing it to 4:5 or 2:3 will make the RAM run faster...not slower. 1:1 is the slowest setting...and by default most mobos won't select 1:1...that's why so many people post about how they can barely OC. The Mobo has selected 4:5 or 2:3 (depends on the native FSB of the CPU), and as the user starts increasing the FSB the RAM goes up much faster than the FSB and the RAM tops out before the CPU has had a chance to stretch its legs.

Examples:

FSB : RAM
400 : 400 DDR2-800 1:1 (2.0 on GB boards)
400 : 480 DDR2-960 5:6 (2.4)
400 : 500 DDR2-1000 4:5 (2.5)
400 : 600 DDR2-1200 2:3 (3.0)

Yes, thats because the FSB is linked to the ram.

I'll use my 'ol P4 as an example:

STOCK - ram = 200mhz(400mhz in dual channel mode), FSB (Which is "quad pumped", basically it is 4 times faster than the ram speed) = 800(200 actual speed), CPU (The actual, non quad pumped FSB speed times what ever the multiplier is, in my case 15) = 3000 mhz or 3.0ghz

so if I increase my actual FSB to 210...

RAM = 210(420 dual channel), FSB = 840(210 actual), CPU = = 3150 or 3.15ghz.

The q6600 works the same way, just a heck of a lot faster.

Also, I beleive you can change the divider on the ram nowadays, or somthing like that. All of that should be explained in the how to overclock sticky. You should check it out, its a good read.

EDIT: someone beat me to the punch. Thats what I get for taking a year and a half to post. :|

I used to think the same thing about dual-channel doubling the speed. That's not quite right, though. Your RAM has a clock speed of 200MHz. The fact that it's DDR (double data rate) means that it can move data on the rising and falling edge of each clock cycle, so it is effectively moving data at 400MHz. The way I differentiate in my writing is either say the raw clock speed (200MHz in this case) showing the 'MHz' tag to signify it's an actual signal speed, or express it as the effective speed (DDR-400 in this case) showing the 'DDR' rating and leave off the MHz tag since there isn't really a signal switching at that speed.

Putting the RAM in dual-channel also gives you further bandwidth increases beyond what I mentioned above. There is no 'speed' increase in the RAM itself, but the system is able to grab data from both sticks simultaneously, so in theory the bandwidth would double (it doesn't do quite this well in practice, though). I like to think of it as a sort of RAID0 for the RAM, but I'm not sure if that is entirely accurate.

oo ok i get it :)
BUT BUT
on my ga-p35-ds3p there is no option to change it from 1:1 to something else?
where would it be in the bios?
IIRC from my old Gigabyte board it's labeled as a RAM multi, or something. Check around to see if you find that setting or similar. As Jason said earlier, the setting(multiplier) you need to select is 2.0.

Back