• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BMilos

Hey guys,

I just wanted to check in and ask for a bit of advice. I have read quite a bit and want to just ask a few questions that I am still unsure about.

Here is the setup I am running:

GTZ w/1366 bracket
MCW-NBMAX
655 w/ speed control
Black Ice GTX 360 Rad
3 - scythe s-flex fans
MCRES Micro res v2.
tygon 1/2 ID 5/8 OD tubing.

I am running this in the TT armor + case.

If I remember correctly, the rad and pump should be close to each other? IE at the top, maybe in or around the drive bays?

For appearance, I was wondering if I could have the pump and rad at the bottom of the case. Would that be an issue?

Also, wanted to check that this is the optimal loop -

pump -> rad -> CPU -> NB -> res

Any advice on loop or placement of components is greatly appreciated.

Oh, and is it imperative to rinse components with distilled water before installing?

Gracias.

the order of the loop doesn't matter. what matters is make the shortest loop possible so you get good flow rates.

the only order that matters is that the res/tline is BEFORE the pump.

same goes with the distance for parts, it doesn't matter but the closer (meaning less tubing) is better. but it really doesn't matter.

when you buy the parts new you should flush the rad 5 or more times ( i used tap water to clean all my parts then flushed 2x with distilled) and open all blocks and check for debris. other then that you should be good to go.

when you buy the parts new you should flush the rad 5 or more times ( i used tap water to clean all my parts then flushed 2x with distilled) and open all blocks and check for debris. other then that you should be good to go.

I never did do this. I definitely will when I get my gpu back.

to be honest i never did, i didn't ask or think of it. i may have flushed it once but not as i should have when i first got it. and i never checked the block.

Last edited:
Yeah, I doubt it's super important, but I've seen it in a couple places and wanted to make sure.

Spent all this money, may as well insure that they are clean...

Also, I think warm or hot tap water is the way to go, then distilled to clean all the minerals and gunk in the tap water.

use about a drop of soap with hot water for the rad. then flush alot so all the soap is out.

Umm, one more thing - how should I install the fans? Pushing? Pulling? On the side with barbs? on the other side?

I think the pull configuration works better. Some people also tape the tiny tiny gap that might be between the fans and the radiator for extra suction on the radiator.

Spawn, with all those fans and crazy wiring, how loud is your computer? Mine is going to get a lot more quiet now that I got the new Kaze Master Ace.

Good to see how others dealt with the inside of a TT armor + regarding water cooling. Where did you get the posts of the rad installation?

I think I am going this route -

Removing the bottom 2 HDD holders, putting the GTX 360 vertical between my mobo and drive bays, and putting the res and pump at the bottom of the tower.

This allows me enough room for a XFire setup and it also lets me keep the main HDD stack (if I laid the rad along the bottom, I am left more room, but lose the HDD stack).

Ill post some pics once my 1366 bracket arrives today.

Spawn, with all those fans and crazy wiring, how loud is your computer? Mine is going to get a lot more quiet now that I got the new Kaze Master Ace.

not sure how many DB's it is but you can hear it lol. i think the gpu is the louded fan on the case, then the 40mm northbridge fan.

the sound doesn't bug me as its mostly low to mid range noise (pitch wise).

ya i tried doing wire management but it never works out. as you can see looks are too important to me, its about performance. which is also why i'm in my basement with some nice 18-22C (64-72F) temps :)

Good to see how others dealt with the inside of a TT armor + regarding water cooling. Where did you get the posts of the rad installation?

I think I am going this route -

Removing the bottom 2 HDD holders, putting the GTX 360 vertical between my mobo and drive bays, and putting the res and pump at the bottom of the tower.

This allows me enough room for a XFire setup and it also lets me keep the main HDD stack (if I laid the rad along the bottom, I am left more room, but lose the HDD stack).

Ill post some pics once my 1366 bracket arrives today.

ya i would have removed the 2 bays at the bottom but i have a hdd in one of them (3 in the other for spacing so they get cooled good) and wires in the other. when i cool my gpu i will take one of the cages out.

i made the brackets from a strip of 1/8" x 3/4" x 3 feet of aluminum from home depot.

Back