• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'll NEVER use a crappy PSU again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

I just bought a CORSAIR TX750- a mid range quality non modular PSU.

All I can say is- I'll never use crappy came-with-the-case PSU's again.

The quality of the workmanship, the weight (heavy=expensive. We've all seen the night vision goggles seen in Jurassic Park), the quality of the cabling (which comes pre-sleeved for attractiveness and airflow improvement in the case).

It even came in this little faux-volour<there's no way I spelled that right baggie.... which I don't imagine I can ever use for anything else but it was still kind of cool...

They even included zip ties!

Wild stuff!

The only major knock I will put against corsair I also put against Sapphire-- DO NOT BAG plastic components straight off the assembly line.

I do not wish to have volatile organic compounds wafting off (and smelling horrible) of my new components because the factory didn't let them air out for a day before bagging them. It's offensive.

I dare say it marrs and halfway ruins the 'new item' experience.

The SAPPHIRE HD4850 (rev 2) card I opened last night smelled so bad I actually coughed when I opened the baggie. That's just offensive.

I like to blather...

DSCF0322.jpg

We sold cases with those PSUs.

We only put them for people who wanted something cheap, no matter what we suggested, and for older computers that do not put a lot of load on the 12volt line, since a lot of those cheap PSUs suck at 12v.

There was a PSU made by HYDRA (stay away unless you do not care), where the 12volt CPU connector was daisy chained from the 24-pin ATX power connector lol.

yup, never buy cheap PSU and yet still So many people do it every day!

would you put sugar in your gas tank?

Heh - imagine how I felt sitting there pushing all the buttons on the SunMoon trying to get it to go all sparkly :p

This probably won't be the last time I do this kind of thing. It's been in the back of my mind to do another full roundup at some point next year... I just did this one-off because I needed something I could put together quick.

Ran out of time when two review units in a row from Seasonic and Ikonik both developed issues. Noticed the LPSW sitting there and decided to make it my victim for the week ;)

Heh - imagine how I felt sitting there pushing all the buttons on the SunMoon trying to get it to go all sparkly :p

This probably won't be the last time I do this kind of thing. It's been in the back of my mind to do another full roundup at some point next year... I just did this one-off because I needed something I could put together quick.

Ran out of time when two review units in a row from Seasonic and Ikonik both developed issues. Noticed the LPSW sitting there and decided to make it my victim for the week ;)

I can see you pushing the buttons on your Sun-Moon with a long stick while looking around the corner from the next room! :clap:

Ah, but I couldn't have held up the fire extinguisher and given the camera a thumbs up if I'd used a stick ;)

This happened where I used to work:

There was this one PSU, made by a no-name company. It was ATX, but did not have the switch in the back to turn it on or off. Customer brought it in complaining of clicking noise and random shutdowns and lockups.

As soon as we plugged it in the PSU literally caught fire and the tech room was hazy and smelled of burned rubber.

We opened it up and it was dusty, which is why a bunch of smoke emminated from the case. The video card GPU had burst, literally, and two capacitors look like they were blown off like a bullet shell casing.

It was an extreme case of catastrophic failure.

Luckily, the whole system was OLD. it had a socket 370 motherboard (cheap), ATI RAGE AGP card, etc. HDD was still good, and we simply built the customer a new PC and transfered over data from the old HDD.

Last edited:
Oklahoma Wolf,

On your review site, you should start a national NEVER USE A CRAPPY PSU AWARENESS DAY...it would be perfect...buddy of mine just nuked his new quad rig with a Ultra 500w...and before that, a buddy of mine killed his A64 setup...they don't listen to me...perhaps someone with real creditability.

OP, glad you found the light side of things, enjoy that Corsair, I'm loving mine.

What!? You've giving the Phenomenally ****ty Unit a bonus by rounding up the score!? :p

The only major knock I will put against corsair I also put against Sapphire-- DO NOT BAG plastic components straight off the assembly line.

I do not wish to have volatile organic compounds wafting off (and smelling horrible) of my new components because the factory didn't let them air out for a day before bagging them. It's offensive.

I dare say it marrs and halfway ruins the 'new item' experience.

The SAPPHIRE HD4850 (rev 2) card I opened last night smelled so bad I actually coughed when I opened the baggie. That's just offensive.

I like to blather...

No way, check the sig!

lol. my dad's computer came with a generic/crappy psu. but he doens't mind, becuase it saved money, he never loads the computer, and i use it to play games like once a year. it's good to save money for stock/basic hardware computers.

other than that, i always like to reassure myself by getting a quality psu. better to be safe than sorry. :thup:

Hardly. Good to save money, by risking it killing other hardware when it randomly dies for no reason (such as only 6A on 12V)? You can get 250W and 300W Seasonic units for less than $40. You can get a 350W Antec for $20. There is NO reason to use a turd to power your computer.

Back