• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need to make the cheepest computer possible that is compatible with these parts...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burninate35

I need to make the cheepest computer possible that is compatible with these parts...

I currently have,

1. a pentium D820
2. 2 gigs worth of these
3. an 8600gts 256meg ddr3
4. a thermaltake 500wt psu that I got with my 8600gts
5. lots of random optical drives. I will not be using one after I complete the xp install because it takes power and I will be running 24/7

Ok so I guess what I need is the cheepest motherboard that will be compatible with all of these parts

I would like it if the mobo could at a later date take a hand me down e6600 from my desktop when I upgrade my desktop to quad core. Also am I forgetting anything else?

Edit: I got the cpu cooler, and I have pretty much decided on a coollermaster centron 590

Thank you for your help,

Burn

Last edited:
Find someone selling and ECS motherboard from a Fry's combo, you should be able to pick one up for $30 shipped. Next pick up a case local. Try goodwill, habitat stores, yard sales, craigslist, etc.

A quick google search shows the 820 has a TDP of 95W. The E6600 is 65W, 30% less. I would try a used Freezer 7 pro or similiar. Or even a stock Q6600 heatsink. If you look you may find a caring soul willing to give on up for shipping plus a couple bucks.

Sounds great ill take a look. Thank you.

And I need a mobo with 4 ram slots. the ram I have is 4x 512meg sticks. I was going to go cheep micro atx like a 40 $ board from newegg, but the only ones with enough slots are a lot of money.

Last edited:
Sounds great ill take a look. Thank you.

And I need a mobo with 4 ram slots. the ram I have is 4x 512meg sticks. I was going to go cheep micro atx like a 40 $ board from newegg, but the only ones with enough slots are a lot of money.

I have an MSI 945p express motherboard I'm not using; had a D820 in it while I was using the board. It has 4 ddr2(dual channel) slots, backplate, user's manual and driver disk.

PM if interested.

i take it this is gonna be a server of some kind.... what i vote for is sell the pentium d 820 and 8600gts, buy a CHEAP 52 dollar E1200 (or some cheap c2d from the classies) and a cheap mobo with on board video.

taking a quick look in the classies theres a E2180 for 40 SHIPPED!!!
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=585857

using onboard gfx with a much more efficient cpu will not only run cooler and quieter it will save you money big time... as the selling of the 820 and 8600 is more than enough for a c2d and mobo, then the whole much more energy efficient aspect comes into play.... the 820 is a power hog!

I need the gpu for folding and the cpu is of no importance for either client I am running. I will be using GPU2 on my graphics card and it should fold better than most quad cores. also my cpu should not be stressed at all with either client. also I got the 8600 this week haha I am not selling it that quickly.

The 8600gts is also a great media center card, and I will be converting this machine into a blu-ray player at a later date (one that folds whenever I am not watching a movie). I will be using my e6600 in it after I upgrade my desktop.

I know that the pentium d820 produces 85w of heat. How much heat does a q6600 produce. I am just making sure that a q6600 heat sink will work well enough. From what I hear they are about the same, but does anyone have a numbers for the q6600?

Last edited:
Nice, that heatsink should work well then.

I no longer need a heat sink.

I have some cases from old computers but they all appear to be either micro atx or proprietary designs.

Edit: I have decided not to go cheep on the case (sorta) I bought the cooler master 590. I feel that it is a small case that I could get amazing airflow with considering how many 120mm fans I could throw into that thing. This is important to me because I do not want my gpu to melt when running for months on end. :)

Now I just have to make up my mind on the mobo. It is hard to find something cheep that has enough ram slots and will be upgradeable to an e6600 at a later date.

Last edited:
Back