• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with getting 4.2ghz stable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FBPerformance

Registered
Looking for a little help to see if I'm headed in the right direction or not when trying to hit 4.2ghz, I can POST, but right when it's ready to go load into Windows I get the blue screen of death and restarts before I can read the error. So should I keep working the voltage's or am I overlooking something?

Settings I tried when attempting 4.2ghz
Multi: 9.5
FSB: 450
FSB Strap to NB: 400mhz
Dram Freq: DDR2-900mhz
CPU Volt: 1.34
FSB Termination Volt: 1.2
Dram Volt: 2.11
NB Volt: 1.2

Also Load-Line is enabled.

Looking for a little help to see if I'm headed in the right direction or not when trying to hit 4.2ghz, I can POST, but right when it's ready to go load into Windows I get the blue screen of death and restarts before I can read the error. So should I keep working the voltage's or am I overlooking something?

I smell a memory issue.

Make sure that DRAM volt is what the sticks say to run it at.

If RAM volts are as recommended, your NB 1.2v may be too low to support a FSB of 450+. You can safely go up to 1.4v if it doesn't get too hot. So there is plenty of headroom left.

My vote goes for vcore. As long as your temps are okay, try 1.4v or even a tad higher. Mine took 1.35v for 4ghz, and about 1.45v for 4.2ghz.

-Collin-

No, not memory. His memory should be fine, hes running under his rated speed by a good bit. Run small FFT see if it fails. Id say you need more NB and maybe a small bump in vcore.

i need 1.32v on the NB for 425mhz FSB. so i'd say try 1.36v or up to 1.4v.

regarding karkas, i used 1.65v on NB a while ago, and it was still cold. would this voltage degrade/damage my NB?

No, not memory. His memory should be fine, hes running under his rated speed by a good bit. Run small FFT see if it fails. Id say you need more NB and maybe a small bump in vcore.

I used the term generically. I know he is well under the rated speed, but if the RAM volts are low or NB (MCH) undervolted the result is the same.

I'm surprised 1.65v on NB was cold... I wouldn't go that high though, even for benching. For 24/7 I'd try to not go much over 1.4, but I'm sure some here would dispute that value. 1.5 might be OK.

I was able to get into Windows thanks to some of your guys' advice, Here is the changes I made:

42ghz.jpg

NB Volt: 1.35v
FSB Strap to NB: 333
Dram Freq: DDR2-1002mhz
CPU Volt: 1.38

Planning on running Everest tonight and seeing where it stands, thanks for the help guys

Back