• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I sell my Vista OEM System Builder's disc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morvak

Disabled
I bought the Vista 32-bit OEM system builder's off of New Egg last year. You can only install it on 1 system.

Well the MB it was installed on is now dead. I just RMA'd the MB back to Gigabyte. When I get the MB back I plan to sell it since I upgraded my PC.

So my question is - can the Vista OEM disc be installed again on another MB? Or will the MB that I get back after being repaired still be registered with Microsoft? And is this OEM disc registerd with M$ and can not be reinstalled no matter what (I like to think this isn't the case) ?

I bought the Vista 32-bit OEM system builder's off of New Egg last year. You can only install it on 1 system.

Well the MB it was installed on is now dead. I just RMA'd the MB back to Gigabyte. When I get the MB back I plan to sell it since I upgraded my PC.

So my question is - can the Vista OEM disc be installed again on another MB? Or will the MB that I get back after being repaired still be registered with Microsoft? And is this OEM disc registerd with M$ and can not be reinstalled no matter what (I like to think this isn't the case) ?

Can it be done or can you do it in accordance to the EULA?

Two different questions, two different answers. To simplify it...it breaks the EULA. As for the rest, use your imagination ;)

I could be wrong, but i think more than any other component in a computer the motherboard is the biggest one that'll make a system a "new computer". If it's the same model that may change, i'm sure others can weigh in...

Can it be done or can you do it in accordance to the EULA?

Two different questions, two different answers. To simplify it...it breaks the EULA. As for the rest, use your imagination ;)

I could be wrong, but i think more than any other component in a computer the motherboard is the biggest one that'll make a system a "new computer". If it's the same model that may change, i'm sure others can weigh in...

Yeah.. see I'm wondering and hoping I can get rid of these 2 items without screwing the buyers.

If I sell the Vista OEM disc to Person A who installs it in a different system with a different MB, and then to Person B I sell the RMA'd MB where the OEM Vista was once installed with, and Person B then installs their own OS onto this RMA'd MB, I wonder if these 2 people will be able to use their systems?

Hmm... then again.. after all this, maybe I will just keep and build a 2nd PC. LOL.

Person B will be able to use that board just fine with any compatible OS of their choice, but Person A may have some difficulty activating that Vista OEM since they are using a different motherboard then the one that was originally activated with that OEM license. Microsoft's licensing binds the OEM software to the specific motherboard model, whereas retail licenses can be used on different hardware provided its only used on one at a time.

Person B will be able to use that board just fine with any compatible OS of their choice, but Person A may have some difficulty activating that Vista OEM since they are using a different motherboard then the one that was originally activated with that OEM license. Microsoft's licensing binds the OEM software to the specific motherboard model, whereas retail licenses can be used on different hardware provided its only used on one at a time.

Ahhh OK. That's what I was wondering. I don't want to screw anyone over if they can't activate the OEM.

So either I will sell the MB and OEM disc together, sell just the MB and keep the disc, or rebuild and make a 2nd computer.

Thanks!

Well you could keep an install the Vista on your new rig. Think there is 1 way out of getting to install the OEM on another motherboard/hardware, is if it dies.

Don't quote me on that but think that is how it works.

Well you could keep an install the Vista on your new rig. Think there is 1 way out of getting to install the OEM on another motherboard/hardware, is if it dies.

Don't quote me on that but think that is how it works.

I would have installed it on my upgraded rig if I didn't buy 64-bits ;-)

But thanks.

I have Vista Ultimate 32-bit and I just upgraded everything in my computer except HDD and when I tried to activate it they denied me from doing it within Windows. I proceeded to do the call in activation and the computer voice asked me how many computers is this OS installed on and I said 1 and it activated it just fine. I worked for Micro$oft until 2004 and this was the policy they laid out for Vista OEM installs. They know people upgrade all the time. Microsoft cannot enforce the original EULA that was with Vista OEM and still make customers happy. They know that.

**This is no guarantee that it will work for you after you sell it.

I have Vista Ultimate 32-bit and I just upgraded everything in my computer except HDD and when I tried to activate it they denied me from doing it within Windows. I proceeded to do the call in activation and the computer voice asked me how many computers is this OS installed on and I said 1 and it activated it just fine. I worked for Micro$oft until 2004 and this was the policy they laid out for Vista OEM installs. They know people upgrade all the time. Microsoft cannot enforce the original EULA that was with Vista OEM and still make customers happy. They know that.

**This is no guarantee that it will work for you after you sell it.

Interesting. Yeah, I'm not gonna sell it. I'll either sell it with the MB, or keep it and build a 2nd PC, or just chalk it up as a loss. But thanks though for that info.

Back