• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Boot Drive Imaging Software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dathaeus

Registered
Hey guys, would like a general consensus on what you think is the best to use to backup a boot drive to an external so that if anything goes wrong on the internal boot, I can just pop a new drive in there and image/recover it back over easily, no frills, high reliability... and of course free is always good as long as it works for this one purpose:

Acronis True Image
Norton Ghost
Clonezilla (free/open source)
G4L (free/open source)
BackupPC (free/open source)
Bacula (free/open source)
(Any Linux app, Ghost, ddrescue, etc....)

(If applicable, Windows XP Pro and will have many programs installed, and possibly large files, i.e., HD video files, going from a 1TB internal to a 1TB external)

I'm a fan of clonezilla. I just had to burn my 3rd copy of it in 3 months last night. The project seems pretty active, and release new updates pretty often. So far it detected all the RAID arrays I've used, without having to manually select a driver. Acronis is pretty good to, but never used it much for image backups. I hate everything Norton, and I haven't used anything else you listed.

Only problem with clonezilla is you gotta boot into its Linux kernel to do any imaging. If you're in a high availability environment where servers can never go down, you might want to look elsewhere.

BackupPC and Bacula can't really do image restores for Windows PCs. At least last time I checked all they could do was backup and restore files, if you lost a HDD you would have to install Windows and then restore your files.

I've used Acronis and Ghost and prefered Acronis. Although I haven't tried the newer versions of Ghost, it has been a few years since I used it. I haven't used any of the others.

+1 for acronis simple and fast, used to use i think ghost 9 but it occasionally gave errors when restoring, granted this was when it was just released and "hot imaging" was coming about.

I've got Norton Ghost 10.0, and I haven't had any problems. But I haven't had to restore either. The backups were all direct to an external drive, using the so called "hot imaging"

I have read a lot about this..and people that know way more about HDDs believe that hot imaging is not a viable solution. These people use an older version of Ghost that is DOS based.

I almost got Acronis as well..

Back