• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About lapping.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grungero

Registered
Just want to ask a few questions.

I've got a TRUE-120 Black and i want to lap it. Curiosity, that's why.

Now my question is:

1. If i lap my TRUE, do i need to lap my cpu too?
2. If i lap my TRUE, will it drop/decrease a few temp from it's normal temp? How many degrees? Without lapping my cpu of course.
3. Do you support me? :p :cool:

Thanks guys!

No you dont need to lap your cpu too. Lapping will maybe give you a 2c diffrence unless your heatsink is jacked then in some cases 5-6c.

As far as the cpu goes ive lapped many cpu's not danegerous i even wash the chips in water and scrub them with alcohol when im done. Intel cpu's usually arent very flat so lapping them does help. heres the deal though if you cant afford to replace the chip than dont do it. You dont risk much by lapping the cpu but it will break the warranty. I have lapped every cpu i own they all work, but recently i had to rma a 1000 dollar quad qx9650 which for some reson lived in my house a year with out gettin lapped. Good thing too becuase i blew it up with a static electricity shock i called intel they didnt need any info for the warranty and they didnt care the chip didnt work or ask what happend i just said i turned my computer on and it wont boot so i tested the chip on a another mobo and had the same problem. The support guy made me read all the numbers off the chip then sent me an email wich i packed with my cpu and they overnighted me a new one.

The point im trying to make is if you have a 100 dollar e7200 go for it if you can make 100 bucks realtivley easy to replace in the unforseen event you blow the chip up overclocking, or by simply touching your mobo while wearing socks. But if you have a 300+ quad you care about than wait 3 years before you grind the top off.

The general consensus regarding the true is that its worth it. The base quality from the factory is kinda crappy, I did mine.

Does the same hold true(no pun intended) for the Extreme 1366 version?

I'm getting some hot temps, but I know that the i920 runs a little hot.

I think you will find the general consensus around here is the base of the TRUE leaves a lot to be desired, and lapping it is necessary if want to achieve the best possible results.
As for the CPU I found lapping my CPU helped a fair bit, but as has been said here much care should be taken when lapping your CPU.
You should also look at doing the washer mod when installing the true as this has shown to be very beneficial.

I think you will find the general consensus around here is the base of the TRUE leaves a lot to be desired, and lapping it is necessary if want to achieve the best possible results.
As for the CPU I found lapping my CPU helped a fair bit, but as has been said here much care should be taken when lapping your CPU.
You should also look at doing the washer mod when installing the true as this has shown to be very beneficial.

I'll research this mod. :D

Thanks! Please more comments.

This is the washer Mod.
It just gives you better and firmer contact between the CPU and TRUE.

Attachments

• Washer mod.jpg
    Washer mod.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 91
Heres my true lapped. I also did my cpu and the washer mod. Then I went w/c.

Attachments

• 100_0284 (Large).JPG
    100_0284 (Large).JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 91
Back