• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does DD-WRT Firmware disable "Rangemax"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brandontw

I'm pretty much a dummy when it comes to network stuff, but i just picked up a WNR834B and the matching WN311B PCI adapter both for absurdly cheap.

I am aware that that router is mediocre at best, but I am also aware that the DD-WRT firmware improves it quite a bit, so i am interested in trying it.

But, what i want to know is if i update to the third-party firmware, will it take away and Rangemax NEXT advantages that I might gain from having Rangemax NEXT on both the Router and the PCI Adapter, or will it still be functional.?

I'm not exactly sure what Rangemax is, or what is does, but apparently its desirable for some reason or another. I think it is a MIMO tech or something like that.

seriously though..

its marketing department bull****.

I'm sure the is an element of BS to it, but it has to have some value.

Netgear says rangemax next is an:

"Advanced MIMO (Multi-In, Multi-Out) technology, which delivers incredible speed and range, and for the first time provides wireless interoperability at the highest speeds."

So is DD-WRT compatible with this "MIMO" Tech?

Its not the connection to the internet i'm worried about, its the network speed.

I'm upgrading to N so i can use the media center extender on the Xbox 360. G just didnt cut it.

Back